HELP- Visible external egg color- dead duckling?

ms11

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
I'm trying to incubate and hatch an abandoned duck egg I found. I was expecting it to hatch soon (based on what I've found online since today's day 28), but I'm not sure if the duckling is even alive anymore :(
I can externally see color from the inside of the egg, with the air sac pretty defined.

It looks a bit dead to me..... Have you tryed candling it to look for movement?

Was that the only one you collected. If it did hatch it would want some company. Ducklings like to have others to snuggle up to.

-Jet

It looks a bit dead to me..... Have you tryed candling it to look for movement?

Was that the only one you collected. If it did hatch it would want some company. Ducklings like to have others to snuggle up to.

-Jet

I haven't candled it lately because I didn't want to mess with it too much if it is trying to hatch. Do you think it would be okay to pull it out to candle at this point?
If it's dead I'm terrified it will explode if I handle it (or is that only with rotten eggs?). There's no smell at least..

It was a lone abandoned egg on the mucky edge of my apartment's pond.

Possibly dead....Or still alive?

If it's almost ready to hatch?....You won't see movement either unless you know how to candle properly..;)......No smell is a good sign....

Tap on the incubator and peep to it..It should wobble if getting close to hatching....The last couple of days you lock down the incubator and raise the humidity to 65% so the Duckling does not get shrink wrapped in the membrane....:(

I haven't candled it lately because I didn't want to mess with it too much if it is trying to hatch. Do you think it would be okay to pull it out to candle at this point?
If it's dead I'm terrified it will explode if I handle it (or is that only with rotten eggs?). There's no smell at least..

It was a lone abandoned egg on the mucky edge of my apartment's pond.
Do you think Muscovy or Mallard? Muscovy takes 35-37 days to hatch.

If it's almost ready to hatch?....You won't see movement either unless you know how to candle properly..;)......No smell is a good sign....

Tap on the incubator and peep to it..It should wobble if getting close to hatching....The last couple of days you lock down the incubator and raise the humidity to 65% so the Duckling does not get shrink wrapped in the membrane....:(

Thank you!
I'm using a make-shift, at-home incubator, so it's been a bit tricky to keep the temperature and humidity where I want them to be. I'm hoping maybe it's just late to hatch because the temperature would sometimes dip a bit low at night.
I've got my fingers crossed for a hatch!

Thank you!
I'm using a make-shift, at-home incubator, so it's been a bit tricky to keep the temperature and humidity where I want them to be. I'm hoping maybe it's just late to hatch because the temperature would sometimes dip a bit low at night.
I've got my fingers crossed for a hatch!

Temp should of been at all times...99.5.....

Do you think Muscovy or Mallard?  Muscovy takes 35-37 days to hatch.

The only ducks I've seen frequent our pond are mallards, which from what I've seen online are supposed to hatch a bit earlier than some others

Temp should of been at all times...99.5.....

That was my goal! I can't "set" my incubator though since it's homemade. When the ac was on at night while I was asleep, I wasn't able to adjust my temperature regulating vents, and it sometimes got a little below my ideal temperature

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom