Help w/muscovey color/sex ID? (new pics in post #1)

Quote:
I have studied and studied these ducks and honestly, I don't see any real size difference in them at all. Sometimes the lilac looks just a teeny tiny bit shorter in body length, but nothing thats THAT noticeable - and other times, the lilac looks the same as the other two (it depends on position). Their heads, feet, legs, bodies, etc... are all the same size and shape - the pied had the longest flight feathers at last check, but both the barreds aren't too far behind - they developed pin feathers at the same rate.

Would shots of their wings (opened) help?

Last edited:
I have a couple of muscoveys girls that are young but older than yours. Will take a couple of pictures so you can see how they compare if that helps.

Ebony

15281_am1o_051.jpg

Ash

15281_am1o_050.jpg

I'm not sure how old they are now i am guessing 5 months or so.Excuse Ashes tail she is molting.
smile.png

Uh-oh - mine have WAY longer tails than your girls do.... Guess I better start thinking of some new names!!! LOL!

How old are they when the caruncling starts becoming more pronounced?

Quote:
Uh-Oh Did you say longer tails.....Boy names I would just think of some new names but not give them to your duckies just yet. Their tail could just look longer because their wing have not fully developed yet.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Ok, will recall the names and put them on hold, and think of alternatives for males.... Crap.... LOL!!!

I know with chickens sometimes, you have to wait til they crow or lay an egg to know for sure what sex they are - of course, if any of my muscovies are hens, an egg would be a positive indicator for females, but with nothing else to compare these three to, what is the first positive indicator for males? And if they're ALL males, will I be able to keep them together? The plan WAS to let them free range with my chickens, but maybe I'll have to change my plan?

Back
Top Bottom