HELP!! What do I do about coryza!?

I'm new so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area but I desperately need advice. I have a hen that I believe has Coryza. She came to us as a pellet with what we thought was only a cold. She only had very minor symptoms such as sneezing and watery eyes. It wasn't until recently she developed eye bubbles, swelling and difficulty breathing. She also had a very distinct bad oder about her and diarehia. We brought her in the house to separate her from the rest of our flock and treat. She was very weak and not eating or drinking. I thought forsure we we're gonna loose her. We treated her with IM Tylan50 antibiotic for 5 days, twice daily, along with warm compress to her eyes, saline rinse and poultry Rx drops. With in a day she was up and eating, drinking and feeling better. How ever...
My concern and question is that she still seems to have discharge from her eyes as well as that aweful smell. I've read that once it's cured they can't get again??! So why would symptoms persist? Should we start a second round of antibiotics ?!I'm not sure what else I can do for her.

Actually most respiratory diseases including coryza and others are chronic diseases that are never cured. The symptoms may improve, but the disease can come back whenever the chicken is stressed, say during a molt or during the cold winter. They also remain carriers for life, even when not showing symptoms. She could have coryza, but MG can cause similar symptoms although most people say that coryza smells very bad. Most respiratory disease symptoms can last for several weeks. They can be complicated by secondary infections. You might want to use some Terramycin eye ointment in her eyes. Are her eyes still swollen? You may want to get some testing done to confirm what disease she has. Sometimes they can have more than one disease, such as infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, ILT, or others. A stronger antibiotic would be Baytril (enrofloxacin) which you can buy online. It is banned for use in poultry in the US, but many people use it on birds they are not planning to eat. Here is the dosage and how to buy it online:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959119/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources

If you want to read the symptoms and treatment for coryza, MG, ILT, and other respiratory diseases, here is a good link to click on: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Very helpful info. Thankfully her eyes are no longer swollen. Her only remaining symphtom is a discharge from her eyes with a distinct oder. I will try the recommended eye ointment. When will it be safe to return her to our flock?! My other hens, while exposed, seem healthy and happy. Do you recommend vactinating our new chicks? Will it prevent further illness in my flock?

More than likely, they have already been exposed to whatever she has. The testing might give you an idea of what to vaccinate new chicks for, since vaccines are for MG, bronchitis, and I'm not sure that you can easily buy one for coryza. Your state vet or local extension agent should be able to tell you how to get tested. It might not be that that expensive to test one bird. If you decide not to put her back, you could also elect to cull her and get a necropsy by the state vet.

Back
Top Bottom