HELP!! What do I do about coryza!?

If you can get Tylan 50 or 200 that is what I would try. You need to inject subcutaneously close to folds of skin near legs wings and breasts. It's not that hard. There are lots of dosing amounts on here but tylan works very fast and you can see results within 24 hours or less. Worth a shot maybe? Feed stores carry it for cattle

Its weird but the rest of the chickens that were immediately contained have a little wheezing and one has a snotty nose but they are still perky and eating and drinking fine. They arent lethargic like the 3 that have been culled. Should i wait and see? I just dont want my babies catching anything

If theyre on antibiotics do i just add the wormer to their water as well? Idk if im supposed to put them both in the water or how to do it. I didnt get injectable antibiotic. :( i called a chicken keeper i know and he said in his opinion the 3 that were immediately removed and culled was the right call but with the others he thinks since they arent falling down sick and have minimal symptoms maybe i should try worming. The lady at tractor supply who is a chicken keeper said to give oral antibiotics in their water. Do i put both in the water? The guy i know said if the rest are wormy id see a difference in 2-3 days

If they are showing respiratory symptoms you shouldn't give them a dewormer because it can be taxing on an already ill hen. Worming should be done once in spring and once in fall OR if you got a positive fecal test back from a vet (they are relatively inexpensive...you could submit a grab sample but a dewormer now isnt the way to go in my opinion). I honestly believe if it is MG you will know after just 1 injection of tylan because the remaining chickens will show signs of improvement. With coryza, I don't know. Tylan is an antibiotic as well as tetracycline (brand name Duramycin). Corid is for treating coccidiosis. What antibiotic did you pickup? From people I have talked to with CRD from MG the only effective drug is tylan injectable. Did you submit the dead birds for a necropsy?
Tylan soluble is slow acting and more for getting a larger group of not terribly ill (still drinking) birds, or already recovering birds, well again. For instance you have a handful of birds you gave injections to for 3 days, they are on the mend but need a few more days of tylan. It wont bring back a "on death bed" hen with swollen foamy eyes simply because MG moves incredibly fast. Exposure to an infected bird can amount to extreme wheezing in just 5 days and every day means winning or losing against the respiratory distress.

Last edited:
The woman at tractor supply suggested oxytetracycline. We dont have a single avian vet in our area. I was kind of waiting for one of these to die naturally to submit for a necropsy but theyve all been very active unlike the other 3 that were falling over lethargic and sick. I immediately pulled them and disinfected EVERYTHING they came into contact with. These are not doing like the first 3. Could they have gotten congested from all the disinfecting and new pine bedding? Idk im just wondering why these arent dropping like the others. Theyre actually very active and perky. One of them is holding her mouth open and kind of coughing thoughbut they are all eating and drinking fine

If it's not MG tetracycline is a decent broad spectrum antibiotic and great to have on hand. As great as disinfecting everything is, it is simply not effective since MG sticks to everythinf and is very small. You woukd need to have dedicated clothing, footwear and take a shower before exiting a closed building to be sure you arent carrying it. I am convinced aside from the steict biosecurity employed at poultry barns...MG on a property will br spread just from someone walking in that area once. Better off to have tylan on hand to get the birds well again. I live in canada so we have totally crap access to drugs but tylan 200 was available at a feed store for cattle for off label use. You could always order tylan 50 on amazon in the meanwhile if you intend to keep these birds. Its not super expensive. With the tetracycline you should see improvement by 3 days....otherwise id move onto tylan but thats just me. Ive had my heartaches with Mg and I see it everywhere now. At least here!

Thanks for the advice. This is heartbreaking to see my poor birds and its a hard decision to make to cull :( ive never had this happen before but i cant risk my neighbors flock catching it also. I also have babies that i dont want to get sick. Maybe i should cull and get it over with. How long does MG stay in the enviorment before its safe to use our run again?

I would personally try to treat for MG because knowing how common it is here where I live, I don't expect to ever have a MG free flock and I believe it is manageable. But again, if you suspect coryza because of the odour then everything I said is null and void because I have 0 experience with that one. I invested so much time and effort as they were my pets I muddled through it and while I hate knowing they are carriers I am glad they are having a good life still and are asymptomatic and could be for the rest of their life. Some people would prefer to start fresh if the birds aren't pets but more for show or production. I also was dealing with 50 birds in my outbreak.

I'm new so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area but I desperately need advice. I have a hen that I believe has Coryza. She came to us as a pellet with what we thought was only a cold. She only had very minor symptoms such as sneezing and watery eyes. It wasn't until recently she developed eye bubbles, swelling and difficulty breathing. She also had a very distinct bad oder about her and diarehia. We brought her in the house to separate her from the rest of our flock and treat. She was very weak and not eating or drinking. I thought forsure we we're gonna loose her. We treated her with IM Tylan50 antibiotic for 5 days, twice daily, along with warm compress to her eyes, saline rinse and poultry Rx drops. With in a day she was up and eating, drinking and feeling better. How ever...
My concern and question is that she still seems to have discharge from her eyes as well as that aweful smell. I've read that once it's cured they can't get again??! So why would symptoms persist? Should we start a second round of antibiotics ?!I'm not sure what else I can do for her.

Back
Top Bottom