Help! Why can't this chick walk anymore?

Quote:
Wow, that is an informative site. I sure hope I find the information I need on there. I'm glad they touched on antibiotic treatment. I read on a hatchery website about turkeys falling on their hocks due to being too cold and they recommended antibiotics, but gave no further information.

I had a chick the same way. Sat the same way. She just couldnt walk so i thought it was mareks but its not. here was my solution that i came up with:

I did the band aid thing were you cut the band aid in half(length) and you put it on the chicks legs. then what i did is (this takes a lot of time) i encouraged her to stand up by standing her up on her legs and tried to make her balanced. once she is balanced she might start to walk again. if she is just standing there give the lightest tap you can to encourage her to walk.

this helped me. it took me 5 hours but it was worth it because i just found out that she just one a show with her new owner
smile.png
try this Make sure you put on both band aid strips. one on the back and one of the front. (make sure her feet dont touch together)

i am praying for you and your chick
old.gif

I taped her legs with the band aid from leg to leg, I eventually taped her hocks to straighten them a bit. I can't even get her to stand and balance on her own. I tried and tried on a terry cloth towel in the living room today. She doesn't even seem to want to use her feet. She won't flatten them underneath her. I finally held her with my hands, pressing her feet into the floor and supportin her hocks with my thumbs and keeping her from tipping forward with my forefingers. Eventually I could take my forefingers away and she would balance without tipping onto her nose, but she was essentially just leaning onto my thumbs behind her hocks. If I moved my thumbs at all, she would just fall over.

She just goes from tipping onto her face to falling backward on her hocks and with her hocks taped, she just falls over completely. She's in the chick chair now with her hocks taped to keep them straight. I'm not sure what else to do?

hmmm................... maybe well if she doesnt start walking in a couple of days i would either put her to sleep (very sad choice) or i would take her to the vet and have them check her out ( go with this one) it might cost you but its worth saving a life!

She's healthy other than the walking. I have her in the chick chair and I take her out to let her eat and drink and I keep trying to get her to stand and her legs have strength in them, she pushes with her legs but seems to lack balance or something?

I've got her on paper towels again, and I still have her hocks wrapped while she's in the chick chair and it seems like that might be helping. I'm going to leave her wrapped until tomorrow before we try walking again.

I'm going to make her some scrambled eggs right now with yogurt and honey. I'm considering antibiotics but all I have on hand is albon and penicillin G. I hate to give a baby chick an injection and I would have to find the proper dose for a tiny one too.

She's improving!
celebrate.gif

I'm not sure why, but she's improving. She is standing now and walking, but a bit wobbly and she has to sit down to rest frequently. I'm keeping her in the chick chair a bit longer. When I let her out to eat I set the food all the way across the brooder so she has to walk to it, and she does!

She won't eat the scrambled eggs I made for her, I think she's afraid of them. I'm giving her poly visol and medicated chick feed. She's certainly doing a lot better and with more physical therapy sessions, I think she's going to be fine!

Quote:
I am so happy to hear that!!!!!! Im so glad she is improving!!!! Does she have a name??? If she doesnt you should name her angel or hope (something like that)!!!!! That is a miracle! yesterday she couldnt walk but today she is!!!!!!! im like obssessing over this!!! I find it so amazinggg!!!!!! Im soo happy for you and her!!!!!!!

Quote:
So glad to hear she's doing better!
I'm a big believer in Poly-vi-sol. I had a young chick that was acting a little more lethargic than usual for a few days. I started putting some in their water again and she snapped out of it really quickly.

Back
Top Bottom