Help! Why can't this chick walk anymore?

Maybe you could post a photo?
I have no idea but maybe mareks or splay leg?

I hope your chick is doing okay
hugs.gif

I don't think its Marek's since her legs aren't paralyzed. She can move them, but with difficulty. They seem to weak to hold her or she can't quite get them under her, but no paralysis. It doesn't look like the photos I've seen of splay leg either?

When I put her in the chick chair, her little legs "vibrate". She's been able to free herself from the chick chair as well. She's still eating and drinking and she does try to use those legs but for the most part she's sort of sitting back on her hocks, not getting her feet under her at all.

My camera battery is dead but I'll post pics as soon as I can.

dianne, I had the same thing happen, and I nursed that chick, and nursed that chick. She could eat, get to water etc., and I kept her in the house. But last week just died in her sleep one night. I was brokenhearted.
smile.png
My chick had splay legs, and I tried the band-aid thingy and it just didnt work for her. However, recently I had a little chick who was fine for 24 hours, then she got splay leg. I did the band aid thingy for three days, and poof she is fine now. Who knows?

Last edited:
Quote:
She doesn't look like the pictures of spraddle leg. She actually looks like the one picture, third down on the left, the photo of the chick with the band-aids on sitting on her hocks. This is how this chick sits all the time now. I've had her in the chick chair and take her out to let her eat and drink. Still just waiting and watching.

I'm sorry, I just noticed someone else had already suggested splay leg and you had already responded that it did not look like this - I missed that post
sad.png
Again, I have never dealt with this, but I am just trying to think of things I have read on here that might help. What do you have on the bottom of the brooder? Could you try something like paper towels, if you haven't already, that would give her better footing? I wish I could be more helpful
smile.png

Quote:
Looks like possible Marek's desease symptoms (partial paralyshis and restricted movement ability).

Sorry but if it is Marek,s your other chicks will likely get infected.

Quote:
Looks like possible Marek's desease symptoms (partial paralyshis and restricted movement ability).

Sorry but if it is Marek,s your other chicks will likely get infected.

What? Marek's? Very doubtful. There are many things can cause leg and/or wing malfunction, please read my signature line.

What's the bedding like? Has then been ANY chance of moldy feed? What is the temp in various areas of the brooder?

I had paper towels in the brooder (she developed the problem while still on paper towels) and I recently switched to pelleted horse bedding which I've used in the past and works great for chickens. When the problem first arose, I got moved the heat lamp closer and really warmed up the brooder. It didn't help. Now, I have one end of the brooder warmer than the other end so they can sort of choose where they want to be. Their food is a brand new bag of medicated chick crumbles.

Her legs are certainly not paralyzed since she kicks like crazy when I pick her up. She's even able to crawl out of the "chick chair" by pulling her legs up underneath her and pushing herself out. She just can't seem to walk on her legs anymore properly? She sits back on her hocks and pretty much walks on her hocks and pushes with her legs, but she just doesn't support herself with her legs or stand upright. Its very strange.

Especially since these chicks are three weeks old now and this came on so suddenly. She had no problems right after hatching and she hatched with no assistance and very quickly too. I just don't get it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom