Help with Donkey information!!! ASAP!

That's great information. For me it worked because that donkey is more skiddish and reactive. If I tried it on the other 2 I think I might confuse them. So I recommend only doing on a donkey that runs a distance from you, not with a donkey that is only being a bit of an ***, pun intended.

That's the challenge of donkeys, they are more complex than horses and require a patient owner who is willing to figure out what each donkey needs to make him happy and cooperative.

Horses are easier I think, but are more dangerous because they bolt, rear and kick more often, and are more fearful. A donkey freezes, sometimes they drop down, and than they assess the situation.

You can take a whip to a horse and they will move away, a donkey probably won't, and you suddenly look like an abuser whipping a donkey because it doesn't often work on them.

Welcome to BYC!
Is this donkey a gelding or a jack? A jack can be more difficult. Is this a standard or a mini (or a mammoth)? Donkeys are very cautious around new situations, this is often seen as stubbornness but patience and observation will teach you what they are trying to tell you. If he doesn't want his face touched, he may have been hit in the face. Let him feel a kind hand. They like their withers and jowls scratched. You want the donkey to like you, and not be afraid of you, but also know you are boss. One very important thing to do with a donkey is make sure he gets used to having feet handled so that you can trim hooves when needed..if no one has ever done this, it can be introduced gradually. One more thing, too rich a diet, such as fescue pasture, isn't good for donkeys, they can get fat.
I suggest you check out the American Donkey and Mule Association pages...http://www.lovelongears.com/main.htm
Good luck on your long ears adventure it will be a lot of fun!
if you don,t mind me asking? Is it costly to own a donkey as I am wanting to buy a donkey and live in the country on a huge property. Not sure where to start also but I live in😀 Australia and will have a look at the site you recommended to a member. Love your photo! Kind regards Debby.

Back
Top Bottom