Help with getting the hatch right

At 67, I wouldn't bother trying to add more, but you could experiment with partially blocking a vent hole, if it drops any lower.

I don't think sponge type matters. Just a clean one, I just rinse mine in super hot water to sterilize.

One egg the duck is upside down and I can't see its beak through the shell is there any way to help it for do I just have to hope it makes a hole the wrong end and gets out. it also looks like it still has a lot of fluid left in the egg.

Last edited:
One egg the duck is upside down and I can't see its beak through the shell is there any way to help it for do I just have to hope it makes a hole the wrong end and gets out. it also looks like it still has a lot of fluid left in the egg.

It depends on where it pips. Many times they can make it on their own, even from the wrong end. Others need assistance. But assisting isn't difficult if it comes to that.

Basically, without going into a ton of details right now, you remove the end of the egg, and let the baby progress and push out on their own.

Ok thanks I have 5 external pips now and can hear peeping one of the eggs has quite a big hole but I can still see lots of veins and it looks like the membrane is starting to dry out its turning a yellow kind of colour is this normal.

Ok thanks I have 5 external pips now and can hear peeping one of the eggs has quite a big hole but I can still see lots of veins and it looks like the membrane is starting to dry out its turning a yellow kind of colour is this normal.

Nice! Congrats on the pips. Yellowing is usually a sign of drying out, but not too bad unless it gets really brown and dry looking. If you feel like its too dry, you can use a q-tip with a little vaseline or coconut oil to moisten it up. What you want to see is papery white, to camp gray.

Good news the lone egg of two that showed was pecking at the light when candled has pipped at 17 hundred hours ;) , gig.

Yeah! Countdown!

This is a metaphorical question, if a duckling hasn't broken the air cell, is he able to peck the very top of the shell, where the air cell is located? :/

It was looking really dry so I put some coconut oil on it will I now have to keep doing this also because I had to open the door I put some around the larger holes on the others is that ok. Still no sign of the upside down one yet. I'm so glad I have you helping me I am a nervous wreck.

This is a metaphorical question, if a duckling hasn't broken the air cell, is he able to peck the very top of the shell, where the air cell is located? :/[/quote I don't think so but I'm not the expert here I'm new to all this and still have lots to learn.

Back
Top Bottom