Help with ID - unidentified brown egg layers at the "ugly stage"

Hope49

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
We got 2 chicks basically to save their lives, and now can't identify. The story is, this shipment was poorly managed, and shipped to the wrong post office, with the listing of "miscellaneous brown egg layers". Arriving at the city PO for feed store's OTHER location, which had been closed for 2 years, the P.O. didn't have experience and let them sit there unopened for 24 hrs, Day 1. The next day, someone realized they needed water, and poured it directly into their crate. The feed store, finally hysterical with worry, located them on the morning of Day 3, soaked, starving and half of them were already gone.

Three weeks later, the feed store is still talking about this fiasco and would never order anything from them again. They had placed a particular order and received, with no ID's, half an order deceased.

We heard this story after placing our own order for chicks, and had to bring 2 little survivors home with us. They are, I believe, 3 wks old now.

47ac1642.jpg

They were guessing at an Australorp and a Silver Laced Wyandotte, both hens of course.

I believe we have one week-kneed something-or-other, who is cute but only stands when she needs to:

07f99b2a.jpg

0e86c4b8.jpg

and an Australorp Rooster - with a huge long neck!

5ded3235.jpg

53fe9876.jpg

He's not a Jersey Giant, because the bottom of his feet are orange, not yellow.

Now if you can, I would appreciate your best guesses...and is the 2nd one a ROO?

can't help you with the breed and they are too young to tell if it's a roo. What a sweet story though! Glad you could save them!

Thanks for your help - I'm still trying to ID the one with all the different yellow spots and stripes and the white tip on the end of the tail feathers. Though I wonder if the shipper even knew... is there such a thing as a mixed breed chick? That would complicate things immensely.

This is what she looked like when we got her:

1356e46c.jpg

The black one on your hand looks exactly like my Austrolorp who is 3 weeks old - I got him/her from my pet chicken. Supposed to be a girl but looks rooish to me already, same as yours does....

Last edited:
Well, the guy at the feed store looked them over and said that one is probably a roo and the other one is looking like an australorp too, I didn't want them to be separated so we gave them both back as a pair of "lovebirds" LOL. Our others were so much younger and in a happy pack. Somewhere I picture them living as Romeo and Juliet.

Back
Top Bottom