help with molting

wildwestcoast

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2015
Vancouver Island, Canada
One of my hens is molting, she has lost feathers completely on the back of her neck and part of her back. I have been reading on here and from what I understand this is normal, although unusual for her to have such a hard molt as she is aprox 9 months old. The temperatures are dipping to below freezing this week and I am worried the poor girl won't be able to keep herself warm with all those missing feathers. Does anybody have any advice regarding this? Thanks all :)

As long as you have other chickens in the coop for her to snuggle up with, she'll be fine. Switching to a grower feed will help increase her protein intake so she grow those feathers back as quickly as possible.

As long as you have other chickens in the coop for her to snuggle up with, she'll be fine. Switching to a grower feed will help increase her protein intake so she grow those feathers back as quickly as possible.
great thank you :) When I went to let them out this morning I was surprised to see so many feathers everywhere and my poor bald girl. Then the forcast is for -5. yikes!

just an update. my poor hen is looking pretty ratty! I can see all the new feathers starting. I am still pretty amazed that she would lose so many feathers in her first molt, under a year old and in winter (late fall technically ha) I have another hen starting too. you would think that instinct would have them do this in the summer? I guess you just never know with these creatures!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom