Help with scaley leg mites - now on eyelids... :(

Binki

Songster
Jul 9, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, I’ve been treating scaley leg mites with oil dips and recently a vitamin A & E cream for the past year or so and now the mites appear to have moved to one of my quails eyelids which I can’t treat with oils or creams :[ so I’m ready to use a medication because these mites HAVE TO GO!!

I would really appreciate some advice from people who have used ivermectin on quail - I researched ivermectin and it seems effective with scaley leg mites, but the types/dosages are for chickens, horses, etc. so I’m unsure what brand/dosage is safe for my coturnix quail?

Thanks for your time :)

There is a product called 'Ivermectin drops 0.1%' which is used for small birds like finches and budgies - the dose used is one drop per 50 gram body weight as I recall (which means for some species one drop is actually an over dose - but the product is very safe and over dosing a bit is ok). There is another one with 1% ivermectin, which is used for chickens, though I'm not sure about the dose. That might be fine for a cot as well.

Thanks so much DK!! You are so knowledgeable :) I looked it up and tried to buy it but... turns out nobody ships to Canada as you need a prescription :hmm

damnit, I think I can get the horse paste with ivermectin but definitely not the 0.1% for small birds.. I will have to see a veterinarian, and they’ll charge me for an “exotic consultation” ugh lol..

I don’t have experience bringing in a member of a flock/herd - I’m assuming I can bring in one bird and the vet would prescribe enough meds for the rest of the group since it’s contagious - I’ll have to call them, this is brutal financially as I just had to have another cancer lump surgically removed from my dog :/ thanks again for your help!!! :)

I actually have a similar issue with ordering it - anything that has ivermection in it requires a prescription (including the horse paste, which I could get my hands on though as my dad has horses, but I did the math at some point with regards to how much I'd need to dilute it to use it on birds safely and the conclusion was 'not possible').
I might have managed to find a UK webshop that would ship it to me without a prescription though, if you don't tell anyone about it ;) They might ship to Canada as well..

Back
Top Bottom