Help!

if a big chicken wants to kill a small chicken it will peck it on top of the head, death is almost instant
this is a fact. I have seen it done a few times.

are you sure about stitching ?
first of all, are you certain it needs stitching ?
second, do you know what you are doing ?
this is not a shirt pocket you want to mend.

Ok, that is different than I expected. Try taking care of her feather plucking first.
I have two links:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-picking-out-her-own-feathers.637744/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ather-picking-plucking-and-cannibalism.48538/

Did you give her a bath yet? You should give her a warm bath (no soap though) and gently rub her butt and neck. But if it seems to be hurting her (the water or your rubbing) you should take her out or stop rubbing.

Got it. I didn't try bathing her. I wasn't sure it would be ok. The other chick was 10x worst than her. Thank you.
I will update with her statues.

Got it. I didn't try bathing her. I wasn't sure it would be ok. The other chick was 10x worst than her. Thank you.
I will update with her statues.
You should also give her electrolytes. I would give her one of those frozen sticks of electrolyte juice for kids, like this: It doesn't have to be for chickens. It helps a lot.
450.jpg

I'm not certain that your older hen did this...they don't typically "cut" a chick's neck...and the "hole" on the side of the butt doesn't look hen pecked either...could you possibly have a rat/mouse or cat that could have gotten chicks?
I agree with @jvls1942 hens peck heads, right at the brain to kill pretty quickly.

I'm not certain that your older hen did this...they don't typically "cut" a chick's neck...and the "hole" on the side of the butt doesn't look hen pecked either...could you possibly have a rat/mouse or cat that could have gotten chicks?
I agree with @jvls1942 hens peck heads, right at the brain to kill pretty quickly.
The other chick was pecked at head right thru (not a pretty sight). I had them inside their house since the rain and wind was strong. Pretty well sealed. Once it stopped I went to the coop to let them out. There was no other animal in there. I don't have cats either.

Back
Top Bottom