Help!

jwalters15

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2023
Went out to the coop just now and our three year old golden comet was moving very slowly and not her normal self. I’ve set up a home inside and have her wrapped up in a towel outside. Two days ago she was moving about just fine. Any thoughts? She is able to open her eyes but she’s just keeping them closed.

Attachments

• IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 41
Checked under wings and vent and didn’t see any mites. This is her poop from when she came out of the coop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 9
Golden comets are prone to a lot of reproductive diseases and start rapidly declining around three years of age. What is her diet? when was the last time she laid an egg?? Also do you have a better picture of that poop? I can't tell because its blurry but it looks like it might be a lash egg

We use nutrena naturists 16% pellets and mealworms as treats. Not sure on last egg because we have 6 light brown egg layers. Her poop was real small, about the size of a thumb nail.

She has passed.
Sorry for your loss. That's never easy.
I'm going to sound super callous here, but if you wanted to do a necropsy you might be able to tell if it was organ failure that killed her or if it was a disease that might affect the rest of your flock. Even if you can't do that, monitor the rest of your flock closely.

I’m terribly sorry for your loss. I agree with Stravager, watch your flock closely. You could get in touch with your states department of agriculture, they could test the rest of your flock for bird flu. I’ll leave that up to you To decide. Let us know how the rest of your chickens do.

Back
Top Bottom