Help!

jwalters15

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2023
Went out to the coop just now and our three year old golden comet was moving very slowly and not her normal self. I’ve set up a home inside and have her wrapped up in a towel outside. Two days ago she was moving about just fine. Any thoughts? She is able to open her eyes but she’s just keeping them closed.

Attachments

• IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 42
She has passed.
Sorry for your loss. That's never easy.
I'm going to sound super callous here, but if you wanted to do a necropsy you might be able to tell if it was organ failure that killed her or if it was a disease that might affect the rest of your flock. Even if you can't do that, monitor the rest of your flock closely.

I’m so sorry😢 I have owned and currently have golden comets they are such sweet birds as I’m sure yours was❤️ the only downside to getting them is that because they have such a high egg production they are prone to various diseases and have a very short life span. Most golden comets start to decline and die around three years of age. I haven’t had one live longer than five. I while suspect yours suffered from reproductive issues.
She was awesome. Definitely a sweet one and a family favorite with how friendly she was.

Checked under wings and vent and didn’t see any mites. This is her poop from when she came out of the coop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 10
Golden comets are prone to a lot of reproductive diseases and start rapidly declining around three years of age. What is her diet? when was the last time she laid an egg?? Also do you have a better picture of that poop? I can't tell because its blurry but it looks like it might be a lash egg

We use nutrena naturists 16% pellets and mealworms as treats. Not sure on last egg because we have 6 light brown egg layers. Her poop was real small, about the size of a thumb nail.

Back
Top Bottom