Help

Dgill4901

Hatching
Jan 22, 2024
I have a mixed flock and it’s my first
I ended up with two roosters one Rhode Island Red other is a black Orpington
Was under the impression that I could have the two roosters together and they got in a bad fight yesterday both are hurt and trying to figure out my plan of care
I have them the attacker winner separated out of coop and the other is still with the lady’s
I just got silkies chicks and there in my basement area I made for babies to grow up I have a 4’x4’ pen with a roosting bar that I’m going to put one roo leave one with the ladies and move the silkie chicks to a 100 gallon farm trough I also have in my basement please help as I’m new to chickens and want to make everything better for my injured roosters

Roosters will always fight until one establishes dominance. The exception is if they have grown up together and have settled who is alpha as teens.

If they have settled the alpha/beta status with this one fight you might not see them fight again, but the alpha will most likely bully the beta. If you don't want the headache of managing their relations, you should choose which one you want to keep and cull the other. Remember you need 6 to 8 hens per rooster or the hens will suffer from over mating, lose feathers, etc.

If their injuries are light, leave them alone, they will heal. If there are open wounds or bleeding/dripping clean the wounds and put either iodine or antibacterial ointment on the wounds.

I have a mixed flock and it’s my first
I ended up with two roosters one Rhode Island Red other is a black Orpington
Was under the impression that I could have the two roosters together and they got in a bad fight yesterday both are hurt and trying to figure out my plan of care
I have them the attacker winner separated out of coop and the other is still with the lady’s
I just got silkies chicks and there in my basement area I made for babies to grow up I have a 4’x4’ pen with a roosting bar that I’m going to put one roo leave one with the ladies and move the silkie chicks to a 100 gallon farm trough I also have in my basement please help as I’m new to chickens and want to make everything better for my injured roosters
IMG_6751.jpeg
IMG_6762.jpeg
IMG_6755.jpeg

Sometimes 2 or more roosters work, but often it doesn't. I have two, they were fine until about 2 weeks ago, they beat the snot out of each other and now they're ok again. For now, anyway.
Once one submits, they're usually ok, but it might not happen.

Back
Top Bottom