Helping the Swedish Flower Hen

jbarrett

Songster
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
Florida
Hey guys glad to see you found this, I made this because I thinkn it would be easier to post some things here if anyone has any info that they can share!! I am trying to get this breed listed as a United States breed! Thanks Guys, just post what you know!

I have been working with the ALBC ( American Livestock Breed Concervancy ) Here are a few pictures of the Swedish Flower Hen

Those are a few pictures of my oldest flock!

Might be helpful to post your email on this thread as well so people know what kind of help is needed. I have nothing to offer. I have just started my interest in the SFH. But I think they are gorgeous and getting them recognized would serve the breed well!
thumbsup.gif
to you!

Might be helpful to post your email on this thread as well so people know what kind of help is needed. I have nothing to offer. I have just started my interest in the SFH. But I think they are gorgeous and getting them recognized would serve the breed well!
thumbsup.gif
to you!
Thank you I meant to just went to eat dinner!! Will do it now! Thanks, Justin

Dear Justin,
Love your enthusiasm! In order for the US population to contribute to saving the breed, it needs more than just listing with ALBC. First and foremost is to work together with other breeders using the principles of conservation breeding. If you look back at the criteria for poultry, you’ll see that a large flock is defined as 50 or more breeding birds. That’s what is needed for the kind of genetic diversity needed to save a breed. Luckily, those 50 birds don’t have to be all at one farm, if a group of farmers commit together to exchange breeding stock on a regular basis.
The best thing you could do to help save the Swedish Flower chicken is to organize the breeders and, together, practice conservation breeding. ALBC has excellent materials available to members or for purchase about conservation breeding and how to balance it with selection for productivity.

Another thing you can do is to see if a breed standard is available from Sweden (and get it translated to English). This is important so that breeders agree from the get-go on what the breed is. Also important down the road for getting a breed accepted by APA.

Finally, you should document as much as possible about the breed history. It’s important to know if it is a fairly recent composite in Sweden or, if it has a long history, try to get as much of that history as you can. It makes a difference if the lineages can be traced back, or if the breed got very small and had to be resurrected by some crossing. This can be a fun project as you meet other breeders both here and abroad. Greenfire might know some of this history, but it would be good to confirm it with breeders in Sweden. While you’re at it, please find out if the Swedish have any conservation projects for these chickens, sometimes countries conserve their breeds as a national resource (even our country put ‘em in the freezer, i.e. semen and embryo banks).

Looking forward to working with you on next steps! Give me a call sometime.

Cheers,
Alison

Justin,

I dont know anything more of the history other than what greenfire has, other than i believe our friends on byc from Sweden have said there is a national gene bank there,

As far as the flock of 50 were you needing us to tell you how many we have each?

Justin,

I dont know anything more of the history other than what greenfire has, other than i believe our friends on byc from Sweden have said there is a national gene bank there,

As far as the flock of 50 were you needing us to tell you how many we have each?
you guys can just post that here and I will write it down in my notebook! Thanks, Justin!

I have 2 roos, 4 hens (not quite laying yet)
I also have 4 (not sure of the sex yet in the little juvie pen)

I will help with whatever I can, just let me know. I stay home so I can help with stuff during the day.

I have 2 roos, 4 hens (not quite laying yet)
I also have 4 (not sure of the sex yet in the little juvie pen)

I will help with whatever I can, just let me know. I stay home so I can help with stuff during the day.
will do thank!! I found a neat little tid bit today ill post a few things i learned about them!!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom