Helping the Swedish Flower Hen

jbarrett

Songster
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
Florida
Hey guys glad to see you found this, I made this because I thinkn it would be easier to post some things here if anyone has any info that they can share!! I am trying to get this breed listed as a United States breed! Thanks Guys, just post what you know!

Count me in - and you can use the information on my SFH page HERE.

Here's info
http://www.kackel.se/lantras_hons.html

And here's the translation from the above site:

Rasramar
When the native breeds of poultry are described, it is done in broad rasramar. It is imperative that a landrace is allowed to vary! That means in plain language that you are not allowed to put up one-sided breeding objectives when selecting livdjuren. Examples of such unilateral breeding goal is maximum egg production or a standardized appearance. On this website reproduced rasramarna briefly. In the book Gene banks and rasramar are full rasramar.

A rasram should not be confused with a breed standard which consists of one exterior (appearance) ideal image. With rasram provided a record of the variation that landrace so far has shown, without signs of recent crossings.

Rasbeskrivningar and images
Skånsk blommehöna (Swedish Flower Hen)
From the Sydskånska plain will this our largest native breed hen. In the villages Vomb, Tofta and Esarp found farm flocks that make up today's blommehöns. Chickens breed has been named after older people in Skåne who spoke of them as "di old flower mede."

Average weather in Vomb: 28 F to 70 F
Average weather in Tofta: 32 to 68
Average weather in Esarp same

Characteristics
Body shape is round and robust. Spring color has been the character of the white feather tips of different colored background. The primer can be black, blue (gray), wild-colored (red-orange roosters and hens brown) or light yellowish. like most other breeds of chickens have blommehöns a simple and serrated ridge. Some animals may tassel (spring bush) on the head. Weight 2 to 2.5 hen, rooster 2.5-3.5 kg.

Also, here is the contact information for the Swedish genebank representative:
Skånsk blommehöna
January Perdén

Fäladsvägen 287, 275 91 Sjöbo
0416-142 45

[email protected]

What about starting our own "Association"? The "American Swedish Flower Hen Association" (or something along those lines) It would take a lot of effort, and would probably need some legal work, but that way we could design it around the breed as it truly is. Who better to draft an SOP than those of us working with them? I personally am not really interested in showing, but we could organize our own shows if we wanted, and it would be nice too see the variety of birds 'in person". Just an idea...

I've been doing research on these birds for a while... and unfortunately there is not much information available.

There is no SOP for these birds but I have narrowed down conformation information to the following:

Conformation:
  • Body shape is round and robust
  • Color characterized by a wide range of base color with white feather tips
  • (Black, Blue (gray), red/orange, brown)
  • Translation from Swedish site: “The primer can go in black, brown, off-white, red or yellow with a speckle caused by the white dots at the tip of the springs. There are also chickens that are gray-blue with gold colored collar, bright white-gray to blue-gray or tan collar and all-black hens.”
  • Single, serrated comb
  • Some SFH are crested – tassels or whole cap – crest is not so large as to impede the bird’s vision.
  • Un-feathered, Light tan to yellow legs (may start out pink or gray as chicks). skin-colored, yellow or black mottled
  • Weight 2 to 2.5 hen, rooster 2.5-3.5 kg.

Hey all I am asking now if there is anyone I can put down as interested in getting into the "program"....I am trying to set this up, the ALBC has said there needs to be at least 50 breeding birds in a community....The community can be of anyone who has the Swedish Flower Hen and wants to help the breed! We will be the first official with the American Livestock Breed Conservancy.....Now within the community we would need to swap bloodlines on a regular basis, all this means is that we need to send each other eggs or chicks so we can all get new bloodlines to keep the genetics diverse! So if you are interested pm me or post here and I will be in contact with you, again please help the SFH I believe they deserve it!

This may not be the right place to post this, but I'm going to give it a shot. I'm interested in raising some of this breed, they seem like such an awesome breed!
thumbsup.gif
Where did y'all get hatching eggs? I've seen chicks at Greenfire Farms, is there anyone selling hatching eggs? I'm going to check Ebay today and see what's going on there.

I have been working with the ALBC ( American Livestock Breed Concervancy ) Here are a few pictures of the Swedish Flower Hen

Those are a few pictures of my oldest flock!

Might be helpful to post your email on this thread as well so people know what kind of help is needed. I have nothing to offer. I have just started my interest in the SFH. But I think they are gorgeous and getting them recognized would serve the breed well!
thumbsup.gif
to you!

Back
Top Bottom