Helping the Swedish Flower Hen

What about starting our own "Association"? The "American Swedish Flower Hen Association" (or something along those lines) It would take a lot of effort, and would probably need some legal work, but that way we could design it around the breed as it truly is. Who better to draft an SOP than those of us working with them? I personally am not really interested in showing, but we could organize our own shows if we wanted, and it would be nice too see the variety of birds 'in person". Just an idea...

What about starting our own "Association"? The "American Swedish Flower Hen Association" (or something along those lines) It would take a lot of effort, and would probably need some legal work, but that way we could design it around the breed as it truly is. Who better to draft an SOP than those of us working with them? I personally am not really interested in showing, but we could organize our own shows if we wanted, and it would be nice too see the variety of birds 'in person". Just an idea...
Love the idea deffinatly something to think about lets see what the others say! It might be worth a try!

Just out of curiosity, how old are the 7 that you just put outside?
5 wks, all feathered, BUT that night we had an unscheduled really cold snap (was already below predicted low at sunset) so I pulled them back into the house for overnight just to be on the safe side.

Also, it was 13 birds all together not just the 7 SFH.

They went back out again today & are out overnight tonight but lows will be upper 40s, they have total wind block, and a deep litter of fresh straw, in a very small brooder coop sized so their body heat will keep it warmer than outdoor temps, but w/ enough air exchange to prevent condensation on the ceiling. They are also on a high protein chick start crumble free choice so plenty of fuel to keep warm. I'm pretty confident they will handle it fine, I have heard many colder climate folks putting younger chicks out in colder temps sooner, & I figure Sweden isn't exactly the tropics so I'd assume these birds should be fairly adapted for cool spring weather.

We just picked up our first batch of Swedish Flower Hens and we are definitely interested in being a part of this! We have mostly rare chicken breeds, and this is our newest one :) We have 9 that were born Nov 24th and 2 that are 8 weeks old. Three came from Pawhead and the others are babies from Greenfire Farms chickens. Would like to talk to some of the people in KY that have some, maybe see about trading/sharing :) We have 5 cockerel and 6 pullets. Not sure how that happened lol

God bless
Nannie

Last edited:
Just came across this thread and I'm trying to get caught up. I would love to be apart of all this as well. I just ordered my first SFH from Jordan Farm if anyone knows anything about them. I can't wait til they arrive. Since the first time I saw pictures of these beautiful birds, I was in love. I'm not sure how long it will take for my babies to arrive. Haven't gotten a shipping date yet. But I would like to post pics after they do get here to see what everyone thinks.
smile.png

Hey I'm new too the site and I have one too and one hen had 2 of each but sadly one too died and the other hen was taken by a hawk
1f61e.png
I do want to start hatching my eggs but I need to get an incubator and also would like to get more hens. Mine came from greenfire farms 2 yrs ago. Where can I get more hens I live in NE Ohio

We just picked up our first batch of Swedish Flower Hens and we are definitely interested in being a part of this! We have mostly rare chicken breeds, and this is our newest one :) We have 9 that were born Nov 24th and 2 that are 8 weeks old. Three came from Pawhead and the others are babies from Greenfire Farms chickens. Would like to talk to some of the people in KY that have some, maybe see about trading/sharing :) We have 5 cockerel and 6 pullets. Not sure how that happened lol

God bless
Nannie
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
What part of KY are you from? I am in Northern KY. I currently have 23 SFH, of various ages and in lots of colors. I have an unrelated pair about 9 weeks old that I plan to put up for sale soon.

KYTinpusher- We are in Ohio, near Milford, if you know where that is. We are only about 45 minutes from Cincy. We also have an unrelated pair- we could swap, if you are interested? They were born in November 2012. I will try to post some pics tomorrow, if we don't get too much rain :) We are getting ready to build a new coop so we have more room, since these are so large and we have 30 babies that are mostly large breeds as well. We are going to try to get a few more hens in the next day or two from the guy that sold us these- he keeps detailed records of which farm the babies came from and banded the ones from different broods so there would be no risk of mixing related ones. These are quickly becoming my favorite birds! Can't wait till we start getting eggs from the hens to hatch- I want to see what colors we can get :)
God bless
Nannie

Back
Top Bottom