Hen’s feathers being ripped out by another hen

Frizzle feathers are "different" so draw attention.

Feathers are high in protein. So it may be a deficiency contributing to the plucking.

The other thing is producers pride is just 16% protein.
I would switch that to a 20-22% protein like all flock or chick starter and have oyster shell on the side in a separate dish.

Let me understand your babies. Lol how many do you have, breeds and names?

One of mine just finished her brooding and a Wyandotte is picking on her. Literally just came in from picking her up and treating her with food.
I have one Appenzer
Let me understand your babies. Lol how many do you have, breeds and names?

One of mine just finished her brooding and a Wyandotte is picking on her. Literally just came in from picking her up and treating her with food.
I have four hens.
Snow, a two year old Appenzeller Spitzauben
Twix, an Easter Egger Frizzle who is about to turn one year old. She is the one being picked on
Maple, a full blooded Easter Egger, who is also almost a year old. I think her and Twix shared the same mom. Maple is the one attacking Twix
Pecky Carter, she’s a Black Copper Maran mix. I think she’s six months old. She is the new one we got about a month ago
Everyone is VERY friendly. Especially Snow, she sits on my lap and hugs me with her neck❤️

Frizzle feathers are "different" so draw attention.

Feathers are high in protein. So it may be a deficiency contributing to the plucking.

The other thing is producers pride is just 16% protein.
I would switch that to a 20-22% protein like all flock or chick starter and have oyster shell on the side in a separate dish.

Ok. Would crushed eggshells be enough? I have noticed that there are not many feathers around the coop from her

It takes more than one egg shell to make a new egg shell so unless you have lots saved up you will need to buy some.

If the one doing the plucking is eating them you won't see them.

How big is the coop and run? As well as needing more protein small coops and runs can stress the birds enough to cause this sort of behavior.

It takes more than one egg shell to make a new egg shell so unless you have lots saved up you will need to buy some.

If the one doing the plucking is eating them you won't see them.

How big is the coop and run? As well as needing more protein small coops and runs can stress the birds enough to cause this sort of behavior.
They are about to move into a new coop tonight, but the one they have been in their whole life is 10x7 feet. We’re attaching their old coop to the new one to use it a run. We might leave Maple in it tonight and see how it grows. Also, we have been giving them some protein-enriched treats, but Maple chases Twix away from them. She’s been chasing her away from everything, including the nesting box even the nesting box

They are about to move into a new coop tonight, but the one they have been in their whole life is 10x7 feet. We’re attaching their old coop to the new one to use it a run. We might leave Maple in it tonight and see how it grows. Also, we have been giving them some protein-enriched treats, but Maple chases Twix away from them. She’s been chasing her away from everything, including the nesting box even the nesting box

For 4 birds 70 square feet is pretty good actually.

I am leaning toward it being a change in pecking order due to the loss of the lead bird, Twix is claiming her spot in the flock at Maples expense, as well as needing a higher protein feed.

When you get them more space (or even right away) add lots of things to the run for them to hop on, run behind, and additional feed and water stations. It will help Maple get out of sight of Twix while Twix is in a mood.

IMG_0985.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom