Hen’s feathers being ripped out by another hen

SnowHugs

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
Blue Ridge, GA
Hi, does anyone know how to stop a mean hen from ripping out all of another hen’s feathers? She has no more feathers on her neck and chest, and just a little bit of feathers on her wing and tail. Her name is Twix and she is a Frizzle Easter Egger. The one who is picking on her is a regular Easter egger who’s Twix’s sister. Her name is Maple. She has been ripping Twix’s feathers for several months now, ever since the lead hen died. She is not mean to the new lead hen, just to Twix. She’s even drawn blood. Winter is coming up, so Twix really needs her feathers back. We already tried to use some Peck no More lotion, but it didn’t worked. Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

Hi, does anyone know how to stop a mean hen from ripping out all of another hen’s feathers? She has no more feathers on her neck and chest, and just a little bit of feathers on her wing and tail. Her name is Twix and she is a Frizzle Easter Egger. The one who is picking on her is a regular Easter egger who’s Twix’s sister. Her name is Maple. She has been ripping Twix’s feathers for several months now, ever since the lead hen died. She is not mean to the new lead hen, just to Twix. She’s even drawn blood. Winter is coming up, so Twix really needs her feathers back. We already tried to use some Peck no More lotion, but it didn’t worked. Has anyone ever dealt with this before?
Hi there,

Is the victimized hen sick or injured beyond losing feathers? If so that is probably why. You need to provide what is ailing her or the others will pick on her. If nothing is wrong with her, it’s nasty pecking order bullying. You need to take the aggressor out of the rotation for a day or two and reintroduce until the behavior stops.

Hi there,

Is the victimized hen sick or injured beyond losing feathers? If so that is probably why. You need to provide what is ailing her or the others will pick on her. If nothing is wrong with her, it’s nasty pecking order bullying. You need to take the aggressor out of the rotation for a day or two and reintroduce until the behavior stops.
I don’t think she is sick, but we are about to treat for mice and live just in case. We watched the mean one rip the feathers out. We tried to keep the mean one separated during the day but it made everyone freak out. We will definitely try it again though.

I don’t think she is sick, but we are about to treat for mice and live just in case. We watched the mean one rip the feathers out. We tried to keep the mean one separated during the day but it made everyone freak out. We will definitely try it again though.
If you remove the offender, it has to be in a separate room where they have all the normal chicken needs. Treats are good. When I have a little hen getting picked on I give them a daily runny egg and it helps build their morale and gives nutrients. I have a runt that I did that too. She walks with a limp from a chick injury. Now she is confident and holds her own. You have to let the flock get used to the calm without the offender for a day or two. One roosting night is good. It takes the offenders overconfidence down a few to have to rework into the pecking order. Either that or you have to keep them separated in two groups.

What's their diet?
How much space do they have?
You can try painless peepers or removing the aggressive hen for a few days.
What's their diet?
How much space do they have?
You can try painless peepers or removing the aggressive hen for a few days.
They are on Producer’s Pride Layer feed, plus some treats. The four of them live in a ten feet long and seven feet wide coop.

If you remove the offender, it has to be in a separate room where they have all the normal chicken needs. Treats are good. When I have a little hen getting picked on I give them a daily runny egg and it helps build their morale and gives nutrients. I have a runt that I did that too. She walks with a limp from a chick injury. Now she is confident and holds her own. You have to let the flock get used to the calm without the offender for a day or two. One roosting night is good. It takes the offenders overconfidence down a few to have to rework into the pecking order. Either that or you have to keep them separated in two groups.
Ok. The fourth hen is new to the flock. We had hoped it would even everything out. Would the new one affect anything badly? Maple and Twix are picking on her, but not too badly

No, so sorry I said that in a confusing way. We got the new one in hopes of leveling out the pecking order between the mean one and the Frizzle.
Let me understand your babies. Lol how many do you have, breeds and names?

One of mine just finished her brooding and a Wyandotte is picking on her. Literally just came in from picking her up and treating her with food.

Back
Top Bottom