Hen Abusing a New Pullet

bethgriffithspdx

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Hello All! I need some help. We have a small flock of 8 birds in an urban coop. I've been trying to age integrate them to insure that we always have eggs, and have been introducing new hens in groups of 2 of 3. It's been ok -- a little bullying here and there, but nothing major.

Now, though, I have an 18 month old Dark Star that is pecking the crud out of a young White Rock pullet (almost 3 months), one of two that we put into the coop a couple weeks ago to integrate. The pullets live in a rabbit cage inside the coop, with the door open that only they can fit through. After the first week, the Black Star chased her into a corner that we never saw as dangerous,and she got stuck and her head bloodied, so we closed them back in their cage and locked the door, but left them in the coop for everyone to get used to each other. Opened the door again last night, after the pullet was totally healed up and looked good.

This morning, the Black Star cornered her and pecked her bloody again. Sigh! Her fellow pullet is protecting her -- we found them in the corner, because the bigger hens aren't letting them back to their rabbit cage. But I don't know what to do --- should I isolate the bully and try to introduce them without her, should I take them out of the coop entirely for awhile longer? Any advice would be appreciated!

Keep the pullets away from the mean hen once she draws blood she becomes a cannable, once the pullets get bigger and the hen still picks on them take the hen and put her in a private pin for a week or so

Back
Top Bottom