hen acting funny, any ideas?

philter4

Songster
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
Placerville CA
I am not sure if this is a problem or my imagination but I have a Swinhoe's pheasant hen that started acting funny this morning, she is not tame but she let me get right up to her while she was sitting in her dust bath and she was rolling her head in a big figure 8 back and forth. When I tried to touch her she got up and went to the far end of the pen where the male is. She has been up on her perch more then normal during the day, and when she came down later in the day she seemed to lose her balance but she didn't fall. She is eating and went right after the mealworms I threw in the pen. She also laid another egg last night or this morning, and she is still moving the eggs around in the nest every few hours (I have artificial eggs for her to take care of and sit on while I incubate the eggs artificially).

Any ideas on why she was doing the figure 8 thing with her head, is just sitting on her perch and losing her balance? Are these the symptoms of a disease someone might know about? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't offer any advice but I hope she is ok
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom