Sep 6, 2021
Boise County, ID
IMG_0413.jpeg

Hello BYC, I’m back.

One of my girls, Chica, 3 years old, is acting a little weird. This afternoon, my mom spotted her lying in the middle of lawn out in the open. Now that I think about it, she was laying down quite a bit yesterday too. Of course, I didn’t think much of it then because all the hens were relaxing at some point.

Earlier, I even caught her sitting upright, like a human (it was funny looking.) Upon further investigation, she was having white, runny foamy poop. Whenever I approach her while she’s laying down, she hops up and starts running away, like usual. She’s still making her sounds as well, and keeping up alright with the flock, just a little slow, isolating herself a bit. At the moment, she’s eating and drinking.

Cocci has hit my flock before, and it presents similarly to this (but there isn’t any blood or worms in her poop) I am hesitant to start Corid because it depletes B vitamins. A lot of articles I read suggested it may be a reproductive tract issue, but she has never laid an egg. We had a hen sick last month too, who unfortunately didn’t make it.
Here’s the link to that article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lethargic-hen-not-eating-or-moving.1615119/

I just moved her to the sick pen, with food and ACV water. Oddly enough, another hen was in there yesterday for similar reasons. She was also laying down a bit, but not as much, today she appears to be back to normal. Not sure what happened there. Wondering if Chica has something similar happening.

Any ideas what is going on? It doesn’t seem to have taken her down a lot, but I’d like to find a treatment (if possible) before it does. Maybe it is mild enough that it will go away on its own? Thanks all!

Picture dump:

IMG_0408.jpeg

IMG_0409.jpeg

IMG_0407.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom