Lethargic Hen, Not Eating or Moving

Sep 6, 2021
Boise County, ID
Hello all, I’m back, though unfortunately not under better circumstances. Another one of my hens, 3 year old Barred Rock Luela, seemed to contract a mysterious illness. Over the course of last week, she seemed to slow down and not keep up with the flock as usual. I didn’t think much of it because she was still eating, drinking, and functional.

On Friday, she took a turn for the worst and showed signs of a serious illness. She could barely move and was not eating or drinking. Having had issues with Cocci before and she was showing many symptoms of the parasite (lethargy, loss of appetite, abnormal stools) I began treating her for it. She is slightly more responsive than she was Friday, but it seems we’ve leveled off in terms of progress.

She is still laying down. She ate a little bit yesterday, but not much. Has been drinking a lot. We switched her to rooster booster having ruled out Cocci. I haven’t noticed any improvement. I also noticed toes on one of her feet were curled. Just loosely, and I was able to gently uncurl them.
I was beginning to look into Marek’s, but she just seems weak, not like a paralyzing bird that looses motor control. I tried to have her stand and she just sat back down.

At this point, I have no idea what’s going on or what to do. I’m keeping her inside in an isolation cage with food and water, and plenty of bedding that I change frequently. I am leaving for a spring break trip tomorrow, and I don’t think my parents would let me stay behind to care for her. My neighbor says she’d be willing to watch over her, but I don’t want to place that responsibility on her. Any ideas for what this could be? Treatment? Or is it best to just cull her?

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    657.7 KB · Views: 53
You have a hen with an unknown issue. It will require a couple of days to identify what could be the problem and then more time to treat for the possibilities. You have the option of asking your neighbor if they want to work with us here at BYC or not. If the neighbor is fully on board with assuming responsibility for treatment for the next several days plus a likelihood of needing to track down medication, give them your BYC password and we will be happy to assist. If they don't want to commit to this, then the responsible thing to do is to put the hen out of her misery before you leave for your trip.

Another thing I should add is she is not appearing to struggle to breath nor have mucus and stuff coming out of her nose or eyes. This is close to 48 hrs that she’s been acting this way, and nothing has changed.

When did she last lay an egg and was the eggshell strong?

Is it her left leg that shows weakness and the toe curling?

Drinking a lot can hint to an infection brewing and taking the leg issue into consideration it could be salpingitis or EYP.

You have a hen with an unknown issue. It will require a couple of days to identify what could be the problem and then more time to treat for the possibilities. You have the option of asking your neighbor if they want to work with us here at BYC or not. If the neighbor is fully on board with assuming responsibility for treatment for the next several days plus a likelihood of needing to track down medication, give them your BYC password and we will be happy to assist. If they don't want to commit to this, then the responsible thing to do is to put the hen out of her misery before you leave for your trip.
When did she last lay an egg and was the eggshell strong?

Is uit her left leg that shows weakness and the toe curling?

Drinking a lot can hint to an infection brewing and taking the keg issue into consideration it could be salpingitis or EYP.
This hen has never layed an egg in her entire life. I think she may be infertile! And yes, it is her left leg.

It was going to be a simpler deal, I think she’d probably agree. I will only be gone for two days, but I don’t want my bird to die on her watch. By the time we figure out what is happening, I’m not sure she’ll be among the living…

Make sure her crop is emptyin
This hen has never layed an egg in her entire life. I think she may be infertile! And yes, it is her left le

**Both legs are weak, it was just the left one that had the curled toes.
In this case she might have been laying internally and has reached the point where the accumulated masses pressure onto her organs and ischiatic nerves which leads to lameness.

If she were mine I would cull to prevent her from useless suffering.

Make sure her crop is emptyin

In this case she might have been laying internally and has reached the point where the accumulated masses pressure onto her organs and ischiatic nerves which leads to lameness.

If she were mine I would cull to prevent her from useless suffering.
Right now it’s just full of water. I would assume it’s been emptying because she’s been pooping (though that’s just water too.)

Internally laying? I might have to look into that.

We may cull her this afternoon, but I’m hesitant until we’ve exhausted all options.

Back
Top Bottom