Lethargic Hen, Not Eating or Moving

I honestly don’t think it has anything to do with laying. I looked into it, but this hen hasn’t layed an egg in her entire life. Her belly doesn’t feel swollen or anything. The only thing that’s come out of her butt is poop!

Right now it’s just full of water. I would assume it’s been emptying because she’s been pooping (though that’s just water too.)

Internally laying? I might have to look into that.

We may cull her this afternoon, but I’m hesitant until we’ve exhausted all options.
You can take feed and water away in the evening to see if her crop is completely empty in the morning.

When has she last excreted normal solid poop?

You can take feed and water away in the evening to see if her crop is completely empty in the morning.

When has she last excreted normal solid poop?
I would have to say Wednesday or Thursday. I can take away her food and water tonight, but I’m not sure if she’ll be culled or not by then. I feel like the water is providing her some comfort. I’m waiting to see if she’ll get better. Her crop is squishy because it has water in it.

I would have to say Wednesday or Thursday. I can take away her food and water tonight, but I’m not sure if she’ll be culled or not by then. I feel like the water is providing her some comfort. I’m waiting to see if she’ll get better. Her crop is squishy because it has water in it.
Since when does she refuse food?

She is starting to show more interest in food, was picking up seeds and putting them down. We ground up some grubs and scratch n’ peck and blended it with water. She gobbled it up. Other than that, not a whole lot has changed. Not better, not worse.

Update**

Despite our best efforts, Luela passed away in my arms. We kept her alive because she was showing false signs of improvement. (Eating ground up seed, drinking, and occasionally looking around.) I wish I could say it was a peaceful death. I don’t have the tools to perform a necropsy, or the time- it would be nice to see what brought my sweet girl to such a sudden, violent end after a week of acting sluggish. Thank you all for your help, much appreciated

Update**

Despite our best efforts, Luela passed away in my arms. We kept her alive because she was showing false signs of improvement. (Eating ground up seed, drinking, and occasionally looking around.) I wish I could say it was a peaceful death. I don’t have the tools to perform a necropsy, or the time- it would be nice to see what brought my sweet girl to such a sudden, violent end after a week of acting sluggish. Thank you all for your help, much appreciated
Thank you for the update. Although it was expected to happen it is always sad when we are unable to help and lose a member of our flock. :hugs

. I don’t have the tools to perform a necropsy, or the time- it would be nice to see what brought my sweet girl to such a sudden, violent end after a week of acting sluggish.
All you need is a pair of gloves, a sharp knife and/ or scissors and a few minutes to open up her abdomen and take a peek.

All you need is a pair of gloves, a sharp knife and/ or scissors and a few minutes to open up her abdomen and take a peek.
I think my parents would be hesitant to use our kitchen knives to cut open a sick bird lol. If we weren’t going on this trip, I probably would have been able to convince them. And we don’t have super duper sharp scissors. Just crafting ones. But I do need to look into getting a scalpel and surgical scissors. Luela is already in the ground, but if this happens again, I do want to see what the heck is going on inside these birds.

Back
Top Bottom