ISA Hen sick?

Briannafaith

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2022
I have an ISA hen who I got in December 2022 with a group of girls and have had them since. Yesterday I noticed one was isolating herself and not coming out of the coop. She has stayed hidden. I haven’t seen her eat or drink and it seems like the other hens are being mean to her. Currently she seems very lethargic and not like a normal chicken. She’s keeping her eyes closed a lot and just staying in one spot. Does anyone know what this may be? Overall, she doesn’t look like she’d be sick.

That is definitely a sign of a sick hen who they isolate or hide, become inactive or lethargic, and others may peck on them. Take her out, and give her a thorough exam. Has she lost weight? Is her tail held up or down? Is she having trouble walking or standing more upright? Look at her vent for any soiling, lice or mites under the vent, or any enlargement of the belly under the vent. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, firm, doughy, or puffy/squishy? Try to get her drinking some fluids and offer some scrambled egg and wet mushy chicken feed. Will she take it? Does she normally lay eggs?

Last edited:
That is definitely a sign of a sick hen who they isolate or hide, become inactive or lethargic, and others may peck on them. Take her out, and give her a thorough exam. Has she lost weight? Is her tail held up or down? Is she having trouble walking or standing more upright? Look at her vent for any soiling, lice or mites under the vent, or any enlargement of the belly under the vent. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, firm, doughy, or puffy/squishy? Try to get her drinking some fluids and offer some scrambled egg and wet mushy chicken feed. Will she take it? Does she normally lay eggs?
She’s an active layer and from what I can tell hasn’t laid since this started. She’s standing the whole time and her tail is up. I was able to get her into an old dog kennel and she pooped. It does not look normal to me.

Attachments

• IMG_2578.jpeg
    IMG_2578.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2579.jpeg
    IMG_2579.jpeg
    802.9 KB · Views: 2
I have gotten her to take water and electrolytes through a syringe but she won’t drink on her own. I haven’t been able to get her to eat but will try the scrambled eggs and mush pellets!

Is her crop empty or full? Be sure to check it in early morning to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Her poop has a lot of yellow in it which could be a sign of a reproductive infection.

Is her crop empty or full? Be sure to check it in early morning to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Her poop has a lot of yellow in it which could be a sign of a reproductive infection.
It feels pretty empty and she feels light. Can she survive a reproductive infection? She mostly stands with her eyes closed.

She acts like she wants to eat and even tries but won’t. I tried giving her some greens. She’s mostly just laying down now with her eyes closed. Poop seems to be white with some neon green.

Update.. after her losing some feathers around her vent, I sadly discovered maggots all in her vent. I was able to flush them out and let her sit in soapy water. Crossing fingers that was the only time I’d have to do that. I’m not sure how it even happened to her.

Back
Top Bottom