We recently adopted 5 production reds and one of them came to us with a droppy comb and watery droppings. I had no clue what was wrong, she was laying fine, eating fine. A couple weeks ago i noticed swelling in her foot and saw what looked like bumblefoot. I attempted to treat it with soaks , Prid drawing salve , and wrapping it. There was never really a scab for me to remove. But overtime her footpad has hardened and she doesn’t want to walk on it and seems uncomfortable even just sitting on it.

Sounds like she's already limiting her mobility.

You haven't sliced into the foot?

How long and how tight have you kept the foot wrapped?

I'd give the foot a soak in Chlorhexidine. Apply a very small dot of triple antibiotic ointment to the broken skin on the foot pad and toes. Place a small piece of gauze over those areas and lightly wrap with vet wrap. If vet care is an option, that would be best.

You mention they are rescues, where from and how old is she?

Sounds like she's already limiting her mobility.

You haven't sliced into the foot?

How long and how tight have you kept the foot wrapped?

I'd give the foot a soak in Chlorhexidine. Apply a very small dot of triple antibiotic ointment to the broken skin on the foot pad and toes. Place a small piece of gauze over those areas and lightly wrap with vet wrap. If vet care is an option, that would be best.

You mention they are rescues, where from and how old is she?
We sliced into it once and we’re able to remoive some of the scab but no infection came out. I’ve been wrapping it for about 2 weeks, at first soaking with epsom and treating with prid. After our attempt to cut into the foot I’ve been using Neosporin and wrapping. I’ve been making sure it’s not too tight but maybe her foot just needs to breath. I just feel I’m making it worse.

We got them a few months ago and i believe they are about 1.5 to 2 years old!

Back
Top Bottom