Lethargic hen! Help!!

Kearaaaa23

Chirping
May 18, 2023
Hi everyone, my hyline hen has been acting lethargic for the past 2-3 days. It has gradually gotten worse, on the first day I noticed her being separated from the flock and eating but not as much. Gradually she’s become more and more inactive and doesn’t eat, only drinks water and stands still and sleeps. She also appears to be underweight as her breastbone is sharp and prominent, her poops are watery but no blood or worms and her wattles and comb are not pale. She’s almost 2 years old and lays eggs often but hasn’t laid for the past 4-5 days. I checked to see if she was egg bound multiple times and gave her a warm soak but she’s still this way. NOTE: I put my whole flock on corid and everyone seems to be doing fine except her. Please help!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, my byline hen has been acting lethargic for the past 2-3 days. It has gradually gotten worse, on the first day I noticed her being separated from the flock and eating but not as much. Gradually she’s become more and more inactive and doesn’t eat, only drinks water and stands still and sleeps. She also appears to be underweight as her breastbone is sharp and prominent, her poops are watery but no blood or worms and her wattles and comb are not pale. She’s almost 2 years old and lays eggs often but hasn’t laid for the past 4-5 days. I checked to see if she was egg bound multiple times and gave her a warm soak but she’s still this way. NOTE: I put my whole flock on corid and everyone seems to be doing fine except her. Please help!!
The only thing I would add to what you are doing is an electrolyte and probiotic, maybe try moistened feed to encourage eating.
I am having similar issue with one of my girls and it started about the same time frame, she is doing better so far with some TLC.

Just curious, have you also been having cold snaps and lots of rain?

The only thing I would add to what you are doing is an electrolyte and probiotic, maybe try moistened feed to encourage eating.
I am having similar issue with one of my girls and it started about the same time frame, she is doing better so far with some TLC.

Just curious, have you also been having cold snaps and lots of rain?
thank you! And yes, I’m in the UK and it’s been cold and windy along with rain. Could that cause problems for chickens? If so how can I help?

Do you have a local vet (who’s studied “avian”), nearby who could check her out?
I will include your fid in my prayers.
Symptoms sounds familiar to a couple of my hens. I lost them, due to being egg bound. NOT saying yours are! (fingers crossed) I felt helpless not having someone around, a local vet, chicken farmer, ???, who could help me diagnose prob before it was too late. Lat one got vet to do x~ray (cost $60-$80) to find out she was eggbound. Unfortunately inflammation/infection too far along to save her, so the vet put her to sleep for me. (I get too attached & just cannot kull(?) my pets myself.
Again, hopes and prays for you & yours.

Do you have a local vet (who’s studied “avian”), nearby who could check her out?
I will include your fid in my prayers.
Symptoms sounds familiar to a couple of my hens. I lost them, due to being egg bound. NOT saying yours are! (fingers crossed) I felt helpless not having someone around, a local vet, chicken farmer, ???, who could help me diagnose prob before it was too late. Lat one got vet to do x~ray (cost $60-$80) to find out she was eggbound. Unfortunately inflammation/infection too far along to save her, so the vet put her to sleep for me. (I get too attached & just cannot kull(?) my pets myself.
Again, hopes and prays for you & yours.
no vets nearby that accommodate poultry. Even if there was they’d charge £90 just for examination. Not something I’m willing to pay. Good news tho, she’s improved a bit!

At her age cancer or reproductive disorders are common in hens over 2. Is her crop functioning normally? Does it feel empty and flat by early morning before she eats? What do her poops look like? Do you have any pictures of her or her poops?

After doing some reading about Hylines, they are bread to lay nice eggs very young and daily for up to 2 years. Many of those high production breeds can suffer from medical issues related to their better than average egg laying.

Last edited:
At her age cancer or reproductive disorders are common in hens over 2. Is her crop functioning normally? Does it feel empty and flat by early morning before she eats? What do her poops look like? Do you have any pictures of her or her poops?

After doing some reading about Hylines, they are bread to lay nice eggs very young and daily for up to 2 years. Many of those high production breeds can suffer from medical issues related to their better than average egg laying.
Hello! Thank you for your reply. I know that her breed usually dosen’t live long as their production breeds but she’s not 2 yet, she was perfectly fine 4 days ago but then started being away from the flock etc… she’s gotten a bit better, not sleeping inside her wing as often, walking and moving around a bit more, showing a slight more interest in food etc… her crop is emptying but not as often if that makes sense, she doesn’t poop much but she does. Her poops have also gotten firmer. Also what happens if you give your chickens expired corid treatment? I gave them corid but didn’t realise it was expired. Any advice will help thanks!! :)

Hello! Thank you for your reply. I know that her breed usually dosen’t live long as their production breeds but she’s not 2 yet, she was perfectly fine 4 days ago but then started being away from the flock etc… she’s gotten a bit better, not sleeping inside her wing as often, walking and moving around a bit more, showing a slight more interest in food etc… her crop is emptying but not as often if that makes sense, she doesn’t poop much but she does. Her poops have also gotten firmer. Also what happens if you give your chickens expired corid treatment? I gave them corid but didn’t realise it was expired. Any advice will help thanks!! :)
Medicines lose potency over time, but they generally don't become toxic if stored properly, etc.
I've thought something was expired, but after looking closer it was a manufacture date and said to use within 24 months, so double check if possible. Worst case, you might have to retreat per package instructions.

Back
Top Bottom