hen cannot balance

I know it's heartbreaking. It's okay I just wanted you to know I wasn't blaming you for anything. You did all you could. :hugs
So, another vet suggested that my duck may have had an ear infection. Anyone hear (sorry for the pun) of that and had a duck lose it's balance (and then die of) to an ear infection?

Yes but what I wonder is how likely it is for ducks to get ear infections, as I've never heard of that and I assume their ears are made for lots of water in them since they dive in and dip in (splashing as they come up) so often.

I had such a hard time finding my goose's ears she went through a spell where she was shaking her head and of course first thing that popped into my mind was her ears. So I sat down with Missy holding her between my knees and went searching for her ears, {she was very patient with me being she does not like to be touched} I finally found them and both ears looked very normal no drainage or smell nothing out of the ordinary. She finally stopped shaking her head so I have no idea what that was about. But it was pretty cool to see her ears.

Yes but what I wonder is how likely it is for ducks to get ear infections, as I've never heard of that and I assume their ears are made for lots of water in them since they dive in and dip in (splashing as they come up) so often.
I have three ducks with ear infections. Then I have three additional ducks with a Mite infestation in their ears. So yes, sadly, ear issues are definitely a thing for ducks. Two of my ducks have very narrow ear canals, they are elderly ducks, and because of this narrow canal their ear does not drain properly. So if they are submerging their head in poopy water, as ducks do make their water poopy no matter how often you clean it, an infection sets in. My third duck appears to have some kind of lesion growing inside her canal 🥺 Hopefully not cancer 😞 which is another thing that can cause an infection. So I now perform regular ear checks along with their regular nail trimmings 😁

Back
Top Bottom