Hen Contest #2

Pics
Sally Sunshine just posted some good information on using hydrogen peroxide to clean eggs prior to incubating. It was just posted. Banti will be adding it to the notes section found on the first page of the hatching with friends second thread (the current not the locked one).@Girlywelder

Last edited:
You need to make sure that flock does not have conditions like ms, mg, Mereks, etc. The chicks born from infected flocks are born carriers!

The vet college in NC that studies Mycoplasma synoviae warned me when I inquired. The poultry expert for the state of Missouri said around 85% of backyard flocks already have or have been exposed to ms or mg and just don't know it. They just treated for a respiratory infection and went on. It can come from so many environmental things that it is hard to avoid if you free range, wild birds can poop in your run, or you wear shoes out somewhere and track it back.

What is ms and mg? Can you treat it?

Thank You so Much; everyone. So glad I found y'all. I do appreciate you taking the time to help answer questions I have & giving me helpful information, not making me feel stupid.

Thank You so Much; everyone. So glad I found y'all. I do appreciate you taking the time to help answer questions I have & giving me helpful information, not making me feel stupid.
I am only a year ahead of you and learning from others too.

What is ms and mg? Can you treat it?
ms Mycoplasma Synoviae and mg Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. You can treat the symptoms, but once present they are always carriers and susceptible to a relapse in times of stress. Some mortality occurs. You should read about them just to be aware. MS can be removed after several weeks without poultry from a property, but I don't think you ever get rid of mg once it is present. I would need to read about it again.

Last edited:
I am only a year ahead of you and learning from others too.
ms Mycoplasma Synoviae and mg Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. You can treat the symptoms, but once present they are always carriers and susceptible to a relapse in times of stress. Some mortality occurs. You should read about them just to be aware. MS can be removed after several weeks without poultry from a property, but I don't think you ever get rid of mg once it is present. I would need to read about it again.

Can they kill birds?
You said it looks like a respiratory infection. My birds have wet noses sometimes and sometimes have trouble breathing. One chicken died last year, just got sick and lethargic, never knew why... :(

This 1 here is like my child
. No way is someone gonna kill her. I got her less than a day old, she has no clue she's a chicken

This 1 here is like my child
. No way is someone gonna kill her. I got her less than a day old, she has no clue she's a chicken
I did not suggest you do, just giving a big picture. Someone with a few pets can approach it differently than a larger group. It can be treated and most will live and just get sick a bit easier. Mine would have meant not selling breeding stock or fertile eggs. Not that it is illegal, but I would not pass it on.
She is cute.

I did not suggest you do, just giving a big picture. Someone with a few pets can approach it differently than a larger group. It can be treated and most will live and just get sick a bit easier. Mine would have meant not selling breeding stock or fertile eggs. Not that it is illegal, but I would not pass it on.
She is cute.

Thank You, she doesn't stay out with the others. She's a mommy's girl.
I have no intentions on selling any of mine; maybe donating eggs to the local 4-H kids. But my husband is talking about starting his own flock (everything completely separate from mine) He wants polish & Easter eggers, that kinda makes me fearful. He will be selling & breeding. He's talking 20+ birds. I hope he's all talk & no action.

Can they kill birds?
You said it looks like a respiratory infection. My birds have wet noses sometimes and sometimes have trouble breathing. One chicken died last year, just got sick and lethargic, never knew why... :(
If I remember correctly, ms can result in 20% mortality. Mycoplasma synoviae has many symptoms. I had some with no symptoms some sneezing, some with snotty beaks and raspy breathing, done with that and then leading into leg issues. Two deaths. Tylan helped some for those with minor symptoms. One cockerel couldn't get rid of it, and another got over it for the most part.

As to your death there are lots of causes. I had one this year with something that was not obvious even with a basic necropsy. I could not afford lab work. If I get another with the same symptoms as will have to send it to be tested since we could not save my best breeding pullet and I would need to know what I was facing before I lost lots more. That is a bigger flock verses a few pets difference. I bonly have around 35, but enough that I cannot take the chance of loosing too many. Thankfully, no one else in a week is like her. She literally stopped digesting and died after a few days with severe loss of body mass :confused:

Thank You, she doesn't stay out with the others. She's a mommy's girl.
I have no intentions on selling any of mine; maybe donating eggs to the local 4-H kids. But my husband is talking about starting his own flock (everything completely separate from mine) He wants polish & Easter eggers, that kinda makes me fearful. He will be selling & breeding. He's talking 20+ birds. I hope he's all talk & no action.
When I replaced my first flock I went with places certified NPIP and mycoplasma free. Seperate is hard since it requires physical distance and the reality of hair, clothes, shoes, skin next. having to be separate. It is hard enough for a month for quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom