Hen Crow?

Henry&Friends

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
West Virginia (mountain momma)
A couple days ago a dog came to my house and killed a chick + hurt a hen and guinea hen. My basement became poultry ER (aka the poop room :sick) The guinea hen would drink but wouldn't eat, and screamed whenever she heard the other guineas, so I put her back outside. she goes around with the other two, eats & drinks but otherwise not active, so I’m keeping an eye on her. My hen has been living in my basement for 6 days, I wanted to put a younger hen in to keep her company but I’m not allowed to (when it warms up I’m going to put her in her own run beside the coop where the others can see but not touch her) Yesterday I brought her up to my upstairs bathroom to wash & check her wounds, and let her stay up there to dry off. She saw the other chickens outside, then looked at me and did what sounded like a one syllable crow. It was rather loud and lasted about 2-3 seconds. Why did she do that? She’s definitely a hen, and laid an egg not one hour before.

A couple days ago a dog came to my house and killed a chick + hurt a hen and guinea hen. My basement became poultry ER (aka the poop room :sick) The guinea hen would drink but wouldn't eat, and screamed whenever she heard the other guineas, so I put her back outside. she goes around with the other two, eats & drinks but otherwise not active, so I’m keeping an eye on her. My hen has been living in my basement for 6 days, I wanted to put a younger hen in to keep her company but I’m not allowed to (when it warms up I’m going to put her in her own run beside the coop where the others can see but not touch her) Yesterday I brought her up to my upstairs bathroom to wash & check her wounds, and let her stay up there to dry off. She saw the other chickens outside, then looked at me and did what sounded like a one syllable crow. It was rather loud and lasted about 2-3 seconds. Why did she do that? She’s definitely a hen, and laid an egg not one hour before.
I've not ran in to this myself but have read that hens will indeed crow, or try to. The thread mentioned it normally happening with a flock of just hens, but I would imagine a single hen would/could do it too. I think it has to do with being the dominant figure. That's all heresy though. I'm sure someone here will come along with a more definitive answer.

Was it at least cute? :)

I've not ran in to this myself but have read that hens will indeed crow, or try to. The thread mentioned it normally happening with a flock of just hens, but I would imagine a single hen would/could do it too. I think it has to do with being the dominant figure. That's all heresy though. I'm sure someone here will come along with a more definitive answer.

Was it at least cute? :)

of course it was cute... after it scared the heck out of me! I figured she did it because she’s lonely, since she’s been alone for days. I think the stress is causing her to molt... it needs to warm up real quick so I can reintegrate her into the flock, my basement is crummy and I’m not looking forward to cleaning it up after her...

of course it was cute... after it scared the heck out of me! I figured she did it because she’s lonely, since she’s been alone for days. I think the stress is causing her to molt... it needs to warm up real quick so I can reintegrate her into the flock, my basement is crummy and I’m not looking forward to cleaning it up after her...
:D I bet it was cute.

I don't even like cleaning the bathroom after 1 day. :sick Best of luck with that! ;)

I had a single d'uccle bantam hen start crowing last fall. It stopped about 2 months after it started. I have roosters so it had nothing to do with that. I assume she just felt like it.

I had multiple hens with chicks so perhaps it was a dominance thing. I know crowing can be about claiming a territory and to call in members, and ward off non members. So perhaps you hen was feeling insecure. Only she really knows why.

Back
Top Bottom