Hen dead in roosting room

What i would rather do then killing the hen i would reccomend removing her from the flock for a few days (4-5) and then put her back in. then she'll be considered new and placed farther down ok the pecking order. but if that fails id try rehoming her before something as drastic as beheading her XD

If you do end up taking the bully's life I know of a gas that vets use on chickens to make them sleep while they are working on the birds' injuries. They do not leave the birds in long enough to kill them, just enough to make them sleep. If you put her in for about five minutes she will die in her sleep- peaceful and the meat will not be contaminated. It's natural. I have the recipe for it hidden somewhere in my house. :)

another thing, they haven't been drinking much water at all, and now another hen is stumbling around, I have the bully hen separated again, I'm going to go ahead and treat for mites too. Is there anything I can do for the hurt hen? The past two hens I've lost started out stumbling, then they died within three to five days. if this follows the same pattern this hen only has a few more days. What should I do to help the hen?

It sounds like it may be a contagious disease, though I am not sure which. Could be coccidiosis, if the hens are being paralyzed. You may want to clean your coop thoroughly just in case something is going around.

What do their poops look like? If you are losing more than one , I'd say inspect the sick one , check about an inch below the vent for lice pods/eggs feel the crop and have a good look at the poop. Coccocidiosis causes general ill thrift, wings down and stumbling. Internal and external parasites can and do kill chickens if not controlled.

Back
Top Bottom