Hen dead in roosting room

I give them garlic, and ACV, and a number of herbs to treat worms, though I read it can't prevent it 100 percent. their poop seems normal, crops feel empty in the morning, and full at bedtime. I just read about heat stress, and something called Acidosis, so I'm going to give them some electrolytes tomorrow, I haven't ever seen anything like this.

I am amazed at the number of people on this site that think ACV, garlic and herbs are for treating worms. They are great for helping the immune system. But once a hen is infested with worms she NEEDS real help.

She probably needs to be wormed with some sort of wormer (besides Wazine). And if she has any external parasites they need to be treated for them also.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

I agree. I tend to think the "low hen" getting this is simply that they're often the one that's lowest in weight and health if there's a bully hen in the flock-hence more vulnerable to parasites, overheat, etc. It does sound like either some infectious disease or a parasite issue. De-worming is a great idea and yes, you need an actual de-wormer. You might want to increase their protein too and perhaps feed as a mash so they have more water intake. I make a mash with aloe vera juice and my girls love it. I feed it to them every day, since our temps are in the 100s with heat index over 110 every day. *sigh*.

I have a quick update, I set up two waterers, both with electrolytes, one had plain tap water, the other I gave to them filtered. They are drinking the filtered water real good, but they won't touch the plain water. Could there be something bad in the water? We do have city water, but that's no guarentee.

You can look up ways to get bugs off your flock. Or you can go to someplace that sells mite, tick, and flea stuff for poultry. I hope you find the solution to your problem quickly.
smile.png

I have a quick update, I set up two waterers, both with electrolytes, one had plain tap water, the other I gave to them filtered. They are drinking the filtered water real good, but they won't touch the plain water. Could there be something bad in the water? We do have city water, but that's no guarentee.

ACV shouldn't be added to metal waterers and it isn't advisable to add it in times of heat. There is nothing wrong with plain tap water, you drink it , don't you?
Have you inspected just below the vent for any traces of lice, red fowl mites will make them anaemic and eventually kill them. Some sevin dust or a permethrin poultry spray applied twice at 10 day intervals will get them under control. For internal worms safeguard or valbazen administered twice over a 10 day period will deal with any type of worms they may have.
Depending on the age of your hens the protein level should be 16-18% for birds over 24 weeks of age. A good balanced feed and lots of fresh water will go a long way to keeping them happy and healthy.

http://www.jefferspet.com/categories/poultry/health-wellness/poultry-dewormers

http://www.jefferspet.com/categories/poultry/health-wellness/fly-insect-control-4

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom