Hen died - was this disease, pest, pecking?

Peeps n Bees

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2015
Albany, NY
We lost one of our hens two nights ago. I found her under the roost board in the coop in the morning. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with her, though a few other birds are missing feathers on their neck (which I thought maybe was residual molting, but now I don't know).

I didn't see anything wrong when I found her, but didn't have time to look closely until I got home from work in the afternoon. When I did, I was shocked to find a large, bald, bloody patch on her back, which I had never seen. I don't know what happened, and I want to protect the rest of our flock. Does anyone have guesses on what this is?

I'm gutted that I hadn't noticed this at all on her and that I could have helped her if I'd seen it. A few others are missing feathers on their neck, but this was completely hidden under her wings.

Attachments

• 20220321_180408.jpg
    20220321_180408.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 7
A few others are missing feathers on their neck, but this was completely hidden under her wings.
Have you checked her over for parasites? If the others have some missing patches, I'd check them all over and they may need an antiparasitic treatment like Elector PSP.

I'm sorry for your loss. ❤️

Is it possible she died before the bald patch was made? Like the others pecked her feathers off after she was dead?
It's possible? I'm not sure exactly when she died. I took her out when I found her yesterday morning, so they didn't have access to her all day, but it's possible she was gone earlier in the day on Sunday.
Have you checked her over for parasites? If the others have some missing patches, I'd check them all over and they may need an antiparasitic treatment like Elector PSP.

I'm sorry for your loss. ❤️
Thanks. ❤️ I checked as best I could, though it was difficult because rigor had set in. The ones missing feathers now are really hard to catch, but I'll just have to figure it out. It's a little easier when they're on the roost at night, though then I can't see well.
i have had a few cases like this in my laying flock (50+ chickens in it) it looks like it has been pecked to death :( very sorry for your lose ❤️
Thanks. ❤️ Poor little girl.

Back
Top Bottom