Hen eating manure yuck

threeepeat

Songster
Dec 26, 2022
Canada
I don't mean there's some manure devouring my hens, but rather a favorite hen of mine is now suddenly pecking at and I'm assuming eating other quail poo. This has been a very bright hen. Up until this point, I assumed it was my brightest lol. It lays a big solid egg pretty much every day, and it's also my escape artist. Not sure how she figured out how to open doors but it's the only quail I need to latch the doors for. It is also my tamest quail and likes to be handled and also likes to explore.
I guess my question is, has anyone observed this behavior in any of their quail before, and should I assume it's sick or deficient in some way? Fortunately, all my quail are healthy right now. This is the only behavior of concern currently (aside from the ongoing roo war of my remaining roos)

Nope nothing has changed in terms of feed or grit. Perhaps a bit less grit/ calcium supplements lately though
Your questions raised a good point though. For grit/ calcium supplementing, I use both ground oyster shells and ground up chicken/quail egg shells. I had run out of egg shell type for a week or so. I actually have a completed batch in a jar ready to serve, but I hadn't served it yet. Serving now. thanks

Back
Top Bottom