Hen has growth blocking nostrils (?)-PICS POSTED-MORE pics #15 and #16

So, I know this is an old post but I am curious as to what happened with the hen. I am asking because I have a hen that has the same symptoms as yours. She has hardened, plugged nostrils and is hot. Also breathes with her mouth open. However, mine is not eating. :( It will be a miracle if she makes it through the night.

So, I know this is an old post but I am curious as to what happened with the hen. I am asking because I have a hen that has the same symptoms as yours. She has hardened, plugged nostrils and is hot. Also breathes with her mouth open. However, mine is not eating.
sad.png
It will be a miracle if she makes it through the night.
Can you try to put something on her nostrils like a Q-Tip soaked in very warm water or hydrogen peroxide, and try to soften the hardened material? I have read a couple of threads where this is harden chicken feed. Maybe applying a little vaseline to soften? I might get some help to hold her, and even try to pick it out with tweezers or a pick (please be careful of eyes though.)

I was dabbing olive oil on them and it didn't move and one day I just got fed up and took a toothpick and it just flipped out like a chunk. She's still with me, 6.5 years old. She's not a sturdy healthy hen anymore, sortof weaker and slow, but eats really well, and gets around . I would have sworn that it wasn't impacted feed, but it was.

Yes. That's why I didn't think it was grain impaction. Keep oiling it and work on it bit by bit. My hen would turn blue when I messed with it, so our sessions were short.

I have been treating my hen with this problem on one side, and after reading this thread and combining several pieces of advice, I have a system down that seems to be working. The key is to treat your bird at night, which is generally the best time to do anything with a chicken, and be patient. I wrap her up in a towel, warm up a tiny amount of coconut oil with a couple drops of VetRX and hold a cotton swab to the nostril for what seems like forever. My hen always falls asleep when I hold her head and stroke her comb. Then I start picking. It seems hard as a rock, and like fruitless labor, but as I repeat the swabbing and picking, the debris that comes away is more significant each time. And it doesn't bother her a bit. She wakes up, and I just stroke her head and touch under her eyes, and she conks right back out. This always amazes me since she is not fond of, or accustomed to, being handled at all.

I'm only on day 2 of the treatment, and just tonight I broke through to some cheesy smelling yuck. But it seems like I'm almost through. I put her to bed with some antibiotic ointment on it and will repeat again tomorrow. She is not lethargic, has a healthy appetite and seems vigorous as ever. Hopefully removing the blockage and treating the topical infection will do the trick. Only time will tell.

I have a hen that has this problem. I read this thread and decided to go with pulling it out. I got the 'kernel' out - it was about the same size and colour of a small corn kernel - but there was still yellow gunk in her nose, and I couldn't reach it with the tweezers. Has anyone seen something like that? I'm hoping it will be pushed forward now that her nostril is clearer, but if her body doesn't push it further out, is there something I can do to get it out (ie dissolve it)?

I have a hen that has this problem. I read this thread and decided to go with pulling it out. I got the 'kernel' out - it was about the same size and colour of a small corn kernel - but there was still yellow gunk in her nose, and I couldn't reach it with the tweezers. Has anyone seen something like that? I'm hoping it will be pushed forward now that her nostril is clearer, but if her body doesn't push it further out, is there something I can do to get it out (ie dissolve it)?
Tooth picks and hydrogen peroxide can be good at getting gunk out of the nose (don't get it in the eyes.) Here is a good link to read: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PluggedNare/PluggedNare.html

Back
Top Bottom