Hen has growth blocking nostrils (?)-PICS POSTED-MORE pics #15 and #16

I have absoloutely no experience with this, but have you considered Fowl Pox? Sometimes that can get inside. I'd expect fowl pox to show up external as well, but just throwing a thought out there.

Looks fungal to me...other than the things you are planning to do - before the vaseline, I'd wipe it all really well with ACV. And actually, rather than vaseline... I'd use coconut oil.

Hi Karen. Could it be possible that she somehow snorted a feed granule, especially if you feed them crumbles? It's possible it couldve hardened with mucous from the nostril. You can apply a damp warm washcoth to soak it, then try removing it with tweezers or maybe a toothpick.
I had a Red Star that snorted a crumble and it worked it's way up through her sinus cavity to the side of her head. It looked like a white zit and was rock hard. I had to cut it out with a razor blade and the crumble was just starting to get infected. A little neosporin on the incision for a few days took care of it after I removed the crumble.
I also just cleaned out a blocked nostril (dust and small crumbles) on one of my BR's. Toothpicks come in handy.
Kinda hard for me to see the growth(s) in the pics. Maybe I need new reading glasses.

It almost looks like the start of favus. But favus affects the whole face, comb and wattles. Has it advanced any? If so, it could be favus. Miconazole will treat favus if that's what it is.
Any canker like sores in her mouth?

Last edited:
Hi Karen. Could it be possible that she somehow snorted a feed granule, especially if you feed them crumbles? It's possible it couldve hardened with mucous from the nostril. You can apply a damp warm washcoth to soak it, then try removing it with tweezers or maybe a toothpick.
I had a Red Star that snorted a crumble and it worked it's way up through her sinus cavity to the side of her head. It looked like a white zit and was rock hard. I had to cut it out with a razor blade and the crumble was just starting to get infected. A little neosporin on the incision for a few days took care of it after I removed the crumble.
I also just cleaned out a blocked nostril (dust and small crumbles) on one of my BR's. Toothpicks come in handy.
Kinda hard for me to see the growth(s) in the pics. Maybe I need new reading glasses.

Hi, it's on both sides. Maybe I should just go and try to pick it out.

I looked inside her mouth and there is nothing. When I mess with her she turns blue.

You're right, it does look like it's eating away at her nostrils (both). I went outside and tried to pick away at the blockages, and it's like white crumbly . But then she turns blue and I have to stop. I will go put antifungal on tonight. I have clotrimazole or Tinactin.

Back
Top Bottom