Hen has lesion on left foot, wat do?

Philferno

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2022
Hello hello.

I have a mini bantam hen who one day recently had quite a limp. Checked her feet and found in a big lesion on her left foot.

From the research I've done it seems to may be bumblefoot but I'm not completely sure. Attached is image of the lesion and her normal right foot for comparison.

She doesn't seem at all sick, she's still very chatty and active as usual.

I've soaked it in epsom salts and the limp seems to have gone but the lesion not - should I surgically cut it off? What tool should I use to do so, and what medicines should I have on hand? Or is there another way to treat this?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220912_075942.jpg
    20220912_075942.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220912_075944.jpg
    20220912_075944.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 5
Hello hello.

I have a mini bantam hen who one day recently had quite a limp. Checked her feet and found in a big lesion on her left foot.

From the research I've done it seems to may be bumblefoot but I'm not completely sure. Attached is image of the lesion and her normal right foot for comparison.

She doesn't seem at all sick, she's still very chatty and active as usual.

I've soaked it in epsom salts and the limp seems to have gone but the lesion not - should I surgically cut it off? What tool should I use to do so, and what medicines should I have on hand? Or is there another way to treat this?

Thank you!
It looks more like scaly leg mites to me. Where is the lesion on the foot? I don’t really see a cut. https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

It looks more like scaly leg mites to me. Where is the lesion on the foot? I don’t really see a cut. https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/
Thank you for the response. I had doubts about bumblefoot as I couldn't see any 'kernel' or icky looking spot – just the abnormal growth. It's probably been two ish weeks now, she's still completely herself and the limp isn't back, I believe if it were bumblefoot the infection would have been worse by now. I'm applying some vaseline as it helps with the mites. Would you have any recommendation in case it still does not go away?

Thank you for the response. I had doubts about bumblefoot as I couldn't see any 'kernel' or icky looking spot – just the abnormal growth. It's probably been two ish weeks now, she's still completely herself and the limp isn't back, I believe if it were bumblefoot the infection would have been worse by now. I'm applying some vaseline as it helps with the mites. Would you have any recommendation in case it still does not go away?
I’m not an expert or anything, but from what I’ve read you should gently try to scrub at the scales to try to remove the affected areas in a warm bath. And then apply vetRx which helps suffocate the mites like Vaseline would. If you can get vetRx, I think it might be a better treatment than Vaseline, because the chicken will probably eat the Vaseline off her foot.

Vaseline is fine to use, but if you have VetRx it can be used as well.

The goal would be to keep your oil (vaseline/vetrx) applied regularly (2X a week), making sure to work it up underneath the scales of the legs and feet. It will take weeks to resolve, so be persistent.

I’m not an expert or anything, but from what I’ve read you should gently try to scrub at the scales to try to remove the affected areas in a warm bath. And then apply vetRx which helps suffocate the mites like Vaseline would. If you can get vetRx, I think it might be a better treatment than Vaseline, because the chicken will probably eat the Vaseline off her foot.
Hello (^: I put the vaseline on in the morning yesterday and by evening it seemed much better. Today it seems completely normal again. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom