Hen has swollen purple wattles

You may need to read up on ventilation in your coop. There are a ton of threads here--make sure you read Pat and chickens big ole ventilation page thread--she lives in Canada and has many tips. The worst thing about winter is the moisture in the coop, not so much the temp. Moisture and open pan water bowls can cause frostbite. Feet can be frozen quickly if they step into water bowls in the cold temps you all get.

X2!

Maybe she got bit by something? or got into something, with chickens you never know curious things they are! I hope she gets better, and the vet is a good idea. Good luck!

Final update: Whatever caused them to get so swollen and black is beyond me. After a few days of the topical meds, her waddles are healthy again.

After they were black, they turned white and then back to red. I'm guessing it wasn't frostbite after all but it seems so unlikely that both sides would experience equal trauma.

Who knows, at least my girl is healthy again and as of today has resumed laying! Although, today was a soft egg that she promptly ate
somad.gif

Thanks for all the help!

Mine are having the same issue hopefully find a vet that can take him in if post pics but can't seem to get it to work

I am so sorry about your bird.
hugs.gif
One symptom of Fowl Cholera is swollen purple wattles. The comb can swell too. They can also have greenish diarrhea and respiratory ailments as well. Antibiotics can treat this disease, but it can often return. I would try some either some Baytril or PenG injections. Sulfadimethoxine would work too, although this stuff is hard on the kidneys and can't be used all that long. The other two meds I mention can be used long term if you do see improvement but want to continue with the medicating.

Good luck and I hope you can get him back to good health soon!

Back
Top Bottom