Hen isolatating herself from her 5 hen flock

Granny23

Songster
Aug 2, 2021
Fontana, California
I have 6 hens. My got my first 2, Cookie a barred rock and Twinkie aka Goldie at 2 weeks old in 2021. They normally hang together all day. The other 4 were also bought in pairs and hang together as such.
In the past couple months Ive noticed Goldie is by herself all the time. If I call the girls for a treat or even to put them up she doesn't come. She sits close to them under their favorite bush but she puts herself on the other side of the fence away from them.
She is eating and seems fine but it's like she doesn't belong anymore.
My last 2 girls are about 9 mos now,Mildred a Delaware white and Tooter a RIR. The middle twins are 2yr old RIRs. Now the 3 Reds roost together at night and Mildred sleeps by herself and Goldie is wherever.
Has she lost her place in the flock? Cookie her once BFF still seems to be the boss hen.
I feel bad for her. It was Cookie and her first in the roost and that has changed.
Thanks for your insights!!!

Attachments

• 20230618_104220.jpg
    20230618_104220.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230618_104224.jpg
    20230618_104224.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Things do change. Chickens really did not get the memo about best friends forever. If she is eating, drinking and laying she is fine. She is handling it the way that works for her and the flock. It really is nothing to worry about unless they start attacking her. That has been known to happen. Then you need to do something.

Mrs K

Things do change. Chickens really did not get the memo about best friends forever. If she is eating, drinking and laying she is fine. She is handling it the way that works for her and the flock. It really is nothing to worry about unless they start attacking her. That has been known to happen. Then you need to do something.

Mrs K
Thank you. Unfortunately I do not see her eating or drinking. And she hasn't laid any eggs in the past year, at least. I don't even care about that. I just hate to think think that she is slowly dying. She roosted last night but all she does when she's out is find a place and she just sits there. She isn't active.. No scratching or anything.I have taken a couple different things to entice her to eat and she won't.

Will Goldie sit in your lap and talk chicken talk to you? Will she acknowledge that you are talking to her?
She would probably sit quietly in my lap..but talk? No. Ive tried to give her veggies and a few pieces of dry cat food, something she normally would eat and she won't touch it and tries to walk away.
How long can a chicken go without eating?
Will Goldie sit in your lap and talk chicken talk to you? Will she acknowledge that you are talking to her?

She may be dying. Chickens are not real long lived. It happens to all of them eventually, but just like people, some live longer than others. Not a lot you can do about it, but make sure that if she needs a coup de grace, she gets it.

Mrs K

She may be dying. Chickens are not real long lived. It happens to all of them eventually, but just like people, some live longer than others. Not a lot you can do about it, but make sure that if she needs a coup de grace, she gets it.

Mrs K
She isn't even 2 yet...😢 so that sucks. I thought they lived roughly 4 -7 yrs but I guess that depends on breed?
Somewhere I read that if a chicken is sick the flock won't hang with them. That's not the case here. This morning her best buddy was sitting by her. So hopefully she's not sick and she's just at the end of her life as sad as that would be. Thank you.

She isn’t even two and hasn’t laid an egg for a year? That plus not being active and only sitting around, plus being secluded from most of your other birds, I would suspect she’s unwell.
Ive noticed her odd behavior for a few weeks and still don't see any outward signs of anything wrong with her. Last year around this time our new puppy pinned her to the ground under her front legs. She was unhurt but stopped laying from then on.
Otherwise she has been as normal as my other 5 hens. It's been about a week I think that she's been refusing any type of food.
This is so sad. We hand raised these girls from tiny chicks. But such is life.

Ive noticed her odd behavior for a few weeks and still don't see any outward signs of anything wrong with her. Last year around this time our new puppy pinned her to the ground under her front legs. She was unhurt but stopped laying from then on.
Otherwise she has been as normal as my other 5 hens. It's been about a week I think that she's been refusing any type of food.
This is so sad. We hand raised these girls from tiny chicks. But such is life.
I’m sorry you’re going through this with her! We love our little poultry princesses over here as well, so I imagine not knowing makes it a bit worse as well. I hope she starts eating again!

Back
Top Bottom