Hen just laying around

mommaford09

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
My 14 week New hampshire red is just laying around today. Usually she is very social but today she is not going after the mealworms and chose to just lay behind me instead of jumping on my back. She even buried herself under the water dish to the point I thought she was dead because she was just laying there. I did pick her up to dunk her feet in water and I notice some clear liquid came from her mouth. Any ideas on what could be wrong or ways to perk her up? Thanks.

It *could* be any number of things given that description - I would suggest isolation for now to prevent any further risk of spreading infection to the rest of the flock if it is indeed an infectious illness. You mentioned wanting to cool her off - what is the temperature where you are today? Have you given her a general once over? What is her crop like right now? What are her respirations like? Are you comfortable taking a temperature and, if so, what is her temperature? Is there any discharge coming from any other part of her body?

I am in Central Florida. Today the temp is 91 but dropping because we have storms moving through. I gave all the chickens a once over yesterday and noticed nothing. I felt her crop and nothing abnormal there. She is not panting just sleeping a lot. And no other discharge. I have to admit I am a newbie and not too sure on how to take temperature. I did have another hen do the same thing about 2-3 weeks ago and then was fine. Then I had another one come down with a cold.

So it sounds bad ,,, I hope you isolated her like @OlGrayMare, suggested you do as it can be a lot of things from worms to most anything ....... Could you squirt some ACV into her beak and see if she spits anything back up ....

Have you checked to see if there is an order coming from her beak as a sour crop could be a problem also .....

My chickens are running around at it was 106 F at 7 AM so really heat should not be the issue yet now later today I can see it ............

Have you seen any poo from her yet .....

Back
Top Bottom