Hen laying down, coughing sound, shaking head, poop on butt

RedeemersRanch

Hatching
Feb 26, 2017
My husband and I just bought our first chickens in December for Christmas. We got 3 hens and a Rooster all barred rock. They were said to have been really good bloodline and healthy. When we came home one of the hens started having a bubbly eye and a cough after a few days so I googled and through some websites found she needed medicine. So we kept her separate for a while ( a week or two) and gave her VET RX till she really seemed to be better. She now is laying eggs for us but I have noticed that she has started coughing again and shaking her head. she always has seemed healthy and is the nicest out of the bunch. but today I went out and she had watery poop. I looked it up on here and found that maybe its just because its hot out (which it really isn't super hot just warmer than its been). I went back out just a little while ago and she is just laying in the coop with her head tucked under her wing. I went to pet her and she didn't even move for a little while!!! What's going on, is she diseased?? She's sweet but I don't want to get the others sick. Please help! Thank you and God bless you!

What's going on, is she diseased?? She's sweet but I don't want to get the others sick. Please help! Thank you and God bless you!
Probably Not. If you do not want to spend $100's at a Vet---- I would start tylan50 asap 1ml oral---hold the head back and ease it into her throat area-----holding till she swallows---I would do that once a day for 3 to 5 days/ would keep her separated from the rest for a couple weeks.

You can inject her with it but I have great results with oral. Good Luck

Just called the feed store they said they only have Tylan 50 in shot form. Is that the same/can I orally give her shot meds?

Just called the feed store they said they only have Tylan 50 in shot form. Is that the same/can I orally give her shot meds?

That's it----get you a syringe and a probably 18/20 gauge needle---draw 1ml out the bottle upside down----pull out then draw a little more to clear the needle----pull the needle off and tilt the head a little squeeze the syringe so the med can go to the back of the throat----hold and she will swallow---if you turn her loose---she will shake it all out. Good Luck Hope it helps!!

Last edited:
I would give the Tylan 50 at least twice a day, 1 ml for a five pound hen, a little more or a little less depending on her weight. Plumbs Vet drug book says the you can give Tylan 5-20 mg per pound 2-3 times a day, so it is pretty safe. If you feel comfortable with injections, it can be given that way as well. This sounds like possible MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum, a respiratory disease that can make carriers of your flock, and can pass through eggs to the offspring.

Sorry to get back on here so late its been a busy morning. I gave her a dose last night orally. She did ok drinking it. Not quite comfortable with shots just yet. We were setting eggs back to try hatching and I know the difference between hers and the other hen that is laying. Do I need to throw those out or can we eat her eggs?

Sorry to get back on here so late its been a busy morning. I gave her a dose last night orally. She did ok drinking it. Not quite comfortable with shots just yet. We were setting eggs back to try hatching and I know the difference between hers and the other hen that is laying. Do I need to throw those out or can we eat her eggs?

Some say one thing some another, Seems most of the time my hens that are sick are not laying. I would wait a few days to eat,(some say no wait) but would hatch if I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom