Hen Losing Weight

BayBay Peepers

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Wisconsin
Back in August my hen, Supper, wasn't looking right. She was kind of drowsy, but no super lethargic, and had bad poo, and layed a soft egg. I gave her a calcium pill and wormed the whole flock. She was also pretty pale at the time.

Since then she started to lay regular eggs, her comb is back to red, and then egg production slowed down so something here went unnoticed.

She's always been a little "off" that's how she got the name so it's hard to read her. This week I noticed she's acting like she's eating, but only about a quarter of what she picks up is actually being eaten. I did a little test last night with meal worms. This is an absolute favorite treat here and she ran over, but again only ate a few of the worms she picked up. When I picked her up I can feel she is quite light. Now I'm getting really nervous.

I put some vet RX under her wings, gave her some vitamins, and wormed her again last night. I checked her this morning, but I couldn't get my hands on her since she decided to cram her body underneath my rooster. I plan to make her scrambled eggs this afternoon and give her some yogurt. (if she'll eat it) Is there anything else I can do for her? Oh and I looked for mites, because I'm paranoid, and didn't see anything, but I sprayed her down anyways.

Sorry this got so lengthy, but I'm determined to make her feel better. Should I worm her for five days straight or wait a few days and do it again? I use safeguard liquid wormer for goats. Any other tips to help her would be awesome and I'm sure she would really appreciate it too.

Thank you.  I'm glad she's not suffering anymore, although I still feel like I failed her.  I just really thought she was going to pull through.  I will be much more prepared if something happens again here.

I know it doesn't seem like it but you did not fail her, you really helped her. You made her comfortable so she did not starve. The most important thing to a chicken is food and water and that's what you gave her :) If anything she helped you learn what to do so if needed you can help your other chickens. I'm really sorry she did not make it. I have learned when working with animals that no matter how much you pour your heart into them getting better, sometimes they just don't. Animals are tough and resilient when it comes to being sick, they always try their best to get better. Your girl faught hard and so did you. You did a good job. :)

I called the small vet and as soon as I said chicken I was transferred to a cow vet.  Out here they always refer to chickens as large farm animals for some reason.  The second vet won't sell it to me unless the chicken is their patient and when I asked to set up an appointment so she could be a patient I was told they don't do chickens. 

I brought the crate in and I'm about to start a fire so it will be a good temperature when she comes in.  I tried to catch her a few minutes ago, but she went into a bush and I can't reach her.  I caught wind that there may be a vet that will see a chicken closer than the place I had been using, but I'll have to wait until morning to call them.  Since I didn't find what I need yet I'll have to rely on the 14, but I'm going to continue the search.  She's looking pretty bad today.  Showing a lot more signs that she's not feeling well than the last few days.  I'm sure the cold front doesn't help.  It was 70 yesterday and dropped to the 40's midday. 

I had this same problem with the vet! They would not sell me one unless I brought my girl in. My response was, it's a chicken!! Every vet I called they were just as confused as I was trying to find someone to work on my chicken. Hang in there and I hope you find a tube and syringe. Tubing reeaaaaallllly helps!

I will. Thank you guys for the help and support. Still no significant change in poop, but I'll continue tube feeding her and check back in tomorrow with news (hopefully good)

You both have mastered tubing and were able to keep your birds from dying by doing it. :D Now think about all those people that will be too afraid to tube and instead will give water a drop at a time just because they don't realize how easy it is and how much a bird actually needs. Glad both of you were brave enough to try!

-Kathy

The more I said cc's the more I realized I mean ml but anyhow yes she wanted me to give 60 in the am and 60 in the pm to get her up to par. She seems much perkier after the fluids. And go figure she was a perfect angel there (which made it easier) but I had to chuckle since she was so wild the night before. I'm really glad I got the bigger syringe now I can get more in at a cracked instead of fighting her twice in a row. She even went as far as to clean herself today :)

Yay. Preening is good! mL/cc basic ally the same thing. :) good I'm glad it's easier for you now.

The more time that goes on the more things that get added to my first aid kit. No reading prepared me for half the stuff I came across this past year and a half. Even the people I know with chickens don't put as much time into this as me and everyone it seems like they're on easy street. But it is what it is and I'm so glad you two have been able to help me this far. The vet did mention euthanasia but I told her we're not there yet. I need to know or at least get close to knowing what is the cause of this.

Back
Top Bottom