Hen.....Molting?

Cluckcluck1215

Free Ranging
8 Years
Jan 21, 2016
Found.
Please help.

My one and a half year old BR hen, Granite.
I went out this morning and her rear end is all raw and no feathers.She is just dropping feathers by the minutes.Right now she is huddled in a corner of my house.Im giving her some Electrolyte water and some Garlic crushed in Yogurt.Please, what could be doing this?Its January here and it's so cold out.And I can't stay home all day, I need to go out and she has to be out in a cage.What could be happening?

What is her age? Molting has to do with age, not season. Molts occur around 18 months of age initially, then yearly thereafter. Molting chickens look at little ratty all over, then lose feathers in areas of the neck, tail, and all over. Make sure there is not feather picking going on since she could suffer injuries. Look for lost feathers laying around the coop, which would point to molt. If you see her being pecked, make sure that the chickens are getting enough protein--at least 16-20% in their layer feed, and add some extra high protein snacks such as chopped egg, tuna,high protein gamebird feed, or a small amount of dry cat food. Boredom can also lead to feather picking. BluKote sprayed on pecked areas or some bad tasting ointments such as menthol, Bag Balm, Vicks, are sometimes used.

What is her age? Molting has to do with age, not season. Molts occur around 18 months of age initially, then yearly thereafter. Molting chickens look at little ratty all over, then lose feathers in areas of the neck, tail, and all over. Make sure there is not feather picking going on since she could suffer injuries. Look for lost feathers laying around the coop, which would point to molt. If you see her being pecked, make sure that the chickens are getting enough protein--at least 16-20% in their layer feed, and add some extra high protein snacks such as chopped egg, tuna,high protein gamebird feed, or a small amount of dry cat food. Boredom can also lead to feather picking. BluKote sprayed on pecked areas or some bad tasting ointments such as menthol, Bag Balm, Vicks, are sometimes used.

She is one and a half years old.She JUST started this morning looking like this, and no one is pecking her.And I can't put bag balm on her cause it irritates her skin. And I don't hav BlueKote.

Quote:Yes, I read it, and since she isn't being pecked at, I wouldn't use anything on her, especially since Bag Balm irritates her skin. I was just listing some other products that some us. Hopefully, she won't lose too many feathers.

Last edited:
Does she normally stay outside 24/7 or is she inside part of the time, and then outside in a cage part of the time when you are working? If her rearend is all raw and feathers are coming off, I just think that she is being pecked or is molting. Sorry that I haven't been of help. Maybe someone else can be of help.

Right now in my house she is in 24/7 and normally she is only outside entail it gets dark and not hen she goes into the coop and then I lock them up.But I have NEVER EVER seen anyone pecking her.

Back
Top Bottom