Hen not eating

sspare

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Bethune South Carolina
I have a backyard flock of 6; 4 comets, 2 California whites. One of my comets, she is about 2 years old, has stopped eating about 3 days now. I cannot find anything out of the usual, and have inspected her for parasites. Her eyes, mouth, throat (of what I can see) are all normal. Her crop is empty and she feels lighter than usual. She is eager for fly larva but won't eat anything. I haven't seen any stool but her belly is soft and appears normal. Her tail is down and she doesn't resist when I pick her up. The rest of the gang is healthy and happy but she lags behind and is never with the group when I come to spend time with them. They eat purina layer crumble, occasional kitchen scraps, soldier fly larvae and some scratch. I have tried giving her yogurt, and scrambled eggs. She eats one bite or two then stops. Have also tried adding water to the feed making a mush.
They are all outside all day in a protected yard and inside the coop at night. I am not sure when she laid her last egg but it has been at least 3 days. Any suggestions??

I have a backyard flock of 6; 4 comets, 2 California whites. One of my comets, she is about 2 years old, has stopped eating about 3 days now. I cannot find anything out of the usual, and have inspected her for parasites. Her eyes, mouth, throat (of what I can see) are all normal. Her crop is empty and she feels lighter than usual. She is eager for fly larva but won't eat anything. I haven't seen any stool but her belly is soft and appears normal. Her tail is down and she doesn't resist when I pick her up. The rest of the gang is healthy and happy but she lags behind and is never with the group when I come to spend time with them. They eat purina layer crumble, occasional kitchen scraps, soldier fly larvae and some scratch. I have tried giving her yogurt, and scrambled eggs. She eats one bite or two then stops. Have also tried adding water to the feed making a mush.
They are all outside all day in a protected yard and inside the coop at night. I am not sure when she laid her last egg but it has been at least 3 days. Any suggestions??
I am sorry your hen is sick...not sure what to suggest...hope it isn't contagious to other chickens. Is she egg bound? I hope someone who can help chimes in soon.

Thanks for your answer. Not sure how to check for egg bound but the rest aren't reliable in their "daily egg routines". I'm guessing because its winter, because it's cold, because less light hours, because they are older, because........not sure what if anything there is to do but keep her safe so that's what I am doing. Their coop is cleaned daily and they get fresh feed. The rest are healthy and energetic. It's a waiting game.

Back
Top Bottom