Hen not feeling well, need help diagnosing.

50/50 diluted low-cal Gatorade is fine for chickens when they need a boost. Obviously its not on the daily menu. Until I see empirical evidence suggesting otherwise, I will continue treating mine to such. In fact, 32 oz. of standard animal electrolyte solution commonly used by vets has 4.8 grams of salt vs. 4.4 grams in regular Gatorade. Food for thought...

50/50 diluted low-cal Gatorade is fine for chickens when they need a boost. Obviously its not on the daily menu. Until I see empirical evidence suggesting otherwise, I will continue treating mine to such. In fact, 32 oz. of standard animal electrolyte solution commonly used by vets has 4.8 grams of salt vs. 4.4 grams in regular Gatorade. Food for thought...

Ok, Thanks, I will do some electrolyte therapy and see if that makes a difference. I see no signs in her poo or worms
or cocci. I am wondering if it is post molt issues. We had a hard molt this year, she is the last one to get
her feathers back. She still has some pin feathers that are coming in.

How many days would you do the Gatorade treatment? Is there a specific flavor that they do not like?

Thanks

Mine seem to like fruit punch. So in short, don't try to over-engineer things (i.e., make a relatively simple decision into a thesis). Put whatever flavor you have handy and see if she is receptive to it. Either she'll drink some or won't. I've only done it for a few days max, mostly based on continued observation (seemed improved vs. initial observation)

Last edited:
Mine seem to like fruit punch. So in short, don't try to over-engineer things (i.e., make a relatively simple decision into a thesis). Put whatever flavor you have handy and see if she is receptive to it. Either she'll drink some or won't. I've only done it for a few days max, mostly based on continued observation (seemed improved vs. initial observation)

Ok, thanks.

So how are things going.

Thanks for asking!! She is doing much better. I put some electrolytes in her water and gave her some
yogurt with some good bacteria in it and she seems much better. I am thinking that her lack of motivation
and energy was possibly due to a tough molt. All the girls seems to be doing better after some vitamins
and such. I am glad that it was nothing major so far. I will continue to keep a close eye on her to make sure
that she keeps improving.

I have a hen with this same problem now. The other hens seem to gather around her and sit, almost trying to make her feel better. I'm not sure what to do with her yet. This just started yesterday but I didn't notice it was a problem until today. She just seemed lazy yesterday but now it's concerning. I have had her a year but I'm not really sure how old she is. She still lays regularly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom