Hen not feeling well, need help diagnosing.

Thank you for asking but I found her 2 days later and she passed in the night. She was eating and drinking but not acting right so I don't know what it was.
1f615.png

Hi can someone help me I have a chicken that i took in last year it was just running around the neighborhood and dogs were trying to get her. So I started feeding her and I built a little hen house for her to keep her safe. So as you hear I know nothing about chickens . I tried reading and internet information but mostly guess work. But its been about 8 months I have had her and I've become very attached . recently she has become sick she dont want to out of her coop she is very weak. Her poop is very liquid. She is not eating much she still drinking a little I dont know what to do for her. And im in the Waterbury ct area and I can't find a vet that cares for chickens. Can anybody help

I would give her some vitamins. You can buy vitamins at feed/farm stores in tablets and you'll crush it and mix with a gallon of water. I think we need more details, like color of poo, wheezing, anything else that might help. Do you have an update you can give on her?

You need to examine her to hopefully figure out what’s going on. Look her over for lice. Check her at night in her little house with a flashlight for mites. Is there ventilation in her coop?
Feel her breast/chest. Is there a good amount of muscle or do you feel her keel/breast bone sticking out sharply? If it is pronounced, she is losing body condition and this may have been going on for awhile. Check her crop (bulge on upper right chest). It should be full before bed and empty first thing in the morning. Inspect her vent. Is it clean and not swollen or red? Feel her abdomen (fluffy butt area) below her vent and between her legs. Is it bloated at all? How does her poop look? Does she have an odor coming from her mouth or vent?
Also, what does she eat? Does she have fresh water at all times? What is her house like and where does she hang out during the day? If she eats greens and bugs, or anything other than a crumble or layer feed, she needs grit.
Does she lay eggs? When was the last egg? Does she get oyster shell on the side?
Really anything could be wrong, but if you can answer as many of these questions as possible, maybe we can help you figure it out so you can help her. It could be an illness, but it could even be something like malnutrition if you are new to chickens and didn’t know what to feed her. I can tell you care about her and sincerely hope we can help you get her on the right path.

You need to examine her to hopefully figure out what’s going on. Look her over for lice. Check her at night in her little house with a flashlight for mites. Is there ventilation in her coop?
Feel her breast/chest. Is there a good amount of muscle or do you feel her keel/breast bone sticking out sharply? If it is pronounced, she is losing body condition and this may have been going on for awhile. Check her crop (bulge on upper right chest). It should be full before bed and empty first thing in the morning. Inspect her vent. Is it clean and not swollen or red? Feel her abdomen (fluffy butt area) below her vent and between her legs. Is it bloated at all? How does her poop look? Does she have an odor coming from her mouth or vent?
Also, what does she eat? Does she have fresh water at all times? What is her house like and where does she hang out during the day? If she eats greens and bugs, or anything other than a crumble or layer feed, she needs grit.
Does she lay eggs? When was the last egg? Does she get oyster shell on the side?
Really anything could be wrong, but if you can answer as many of these questions as possible, maybe we can help you figure it out so you can help her. It could be an illness, but it could even be something like malnutrition if you are new to chickens and didn’t know what to feed her. I can tell you care about her and sincerely hope we can help you get her on the right path.
yes

Yes I have found a vet in my area. I took her there and the Vet examined her but has no idea what was wrong with her. THey did say she had a fever so she gave me some antibiotic to give her for 7 days we are on the 3rd day now. But she is still having a hard time walking she tends to lean forward and cant stand up like normal. She don't seem to be eating well at all drinking little water. she has no mites . She always had fresh water and she used to eat crumble and Lettice and shaved carrots for treats.She not egg bound the Vet checked. I'm getting very scared cause its 3 days now and I cant get her to eat her crumbles . I tried watermelon cause she loves that I figured its better then not eating anything she does eat a little of that . I have to wait till Monday now to talk to the Vet but I feel helpless.

well its been 4 days now since she seen the vet but she is still not better. I see no signs of lice or any critters. She is doing a little better now she is walking but looks like a penguin. She still not herself . She is drinking and is eating very little. I'm still very worried.

How is your hen doing? Did you figure out why she was behaving this way?
No she still is not better. The vet doesn't seem to know what is going on with her other then she had a slight temp.I've been giving her antibiotics now for 5 days she is moving around better but is walking like a penguin. her crop is pink and floppy. she doesn't seem like she is eating her grain but she loves her worms and grubs. she is drinking a little. i'm at my ends I just don't know what to do. she hates when I have to give her the meds .I just feel hopeless do you have any ideas? its not lice. she is not egg bound. And she is not with any other hens she is the only hen I have.

Back
Top Bottom