Hen-on-nest dishes

got my hen teapot at macys today, plus the salt and pepper shakers! They were 40% off today only, so a great deal, thanks to the poster who posted the link, I love them, just what I needed for my cabinet!

Quote:
If you have any white milk glass hens - one way to tell if they are old or not is to hold them up to the light (like to a light bulb) - in the older ones, you will see a "fire" color. Newer milk glass will just be white when held to a light.

I will see if the white ones have "fire" to it.....it was late and I was tired. I will see if I can find them in the storage space upstairs in a box. It's going to be fun, I'm sure! I bought all of them from antique stores so who knows if they are antique or not.

Thought I'd share a few of my collections:

Italian Rooster Pitchers:
40221_dscf8969.jpg

Hen on Nests Left to Right: Red Wing, Westmoreland, Fenton:
40221_dscf8970.jpg

Rooster on Nest: Imperial
40221_dscf8973.jpg

Rooster Flower Frog and Rooster Egg Timer (Goebel):
40221_dscf8974.jpg

Chicken Netsukes (some very old; some reproductions):
40221_dscf8978.jpg

Example of "fire" color on older milk glass I was referring to earlier (this is the Westmoreland hen from the 2nd pic):
40221_dscf8981.jpg

40221_dscf8988.jpg

Last edited:
CoopaCabana: wow, what a cool collection, I love the way you have them displayed, and thanks for the pic of the fire thing on milk glass, didnt know that!

Thanx! I love collecting . . . to a fault!! No need to limit yourself to just hen-on-nests!

I forget to show my egg cup collection - these are all chicken figurals. Sorry I didn't get too much closer for the pic - didn't want anyone to see just how bad I am am keeping things dusted.
hide.gif

40221_dscf8991.jpg

40221_dscf8995.jpg

Dug the box out of the storage and cleaned them up a bit for pictures!

Here they are! Any interest?
salthens024.jpg

salthens025.jpg

The white salt hen DOES have a "fire" to it while the white colored swirls do not. Not sure if they are called slags. The white hen has a dab of red paint on the comb and wattle, as much I've tried to scrubbed the red off, figured someone painted it, it never came off so I assumed that it was part of the glazing process.

The black hen is bigger than the others, had a sticker to it but the nest was damaged badly by hubby, which he dropped it on the floor in the kitchen when we put them up for display. I know the value will be so much less than what he paid for it. $30 from the antique store.

The reddish hen has a bit of yellow orangey tint to it, weird like burnt red orange. No swirl to it.

My favorite is the chocolate swirl and that willow spotted white/blue hen (the white does NOT have "fire" to it). Paid ten dollars each for those.

If you guys are interested, let me know so I can post it on the BYC auction and see how much they will sell them for. It will be shipped anyway you want it to be shipped.

If there is any of the salt hens you need a close up of, I can post it.

Back
Top Bottom