Hen or Cockerel - i cant tell. Can you?

Comb and wattles that red at 13 weeks...cockerel.
Barring makes it hard to ID any pointy hackle and saddle feathers, if they are even present yet.
aart is way smarter than me with these photo id. I would listen to her. I have no troubles with seeing it while I'm looking at them but apparently I have dyslexia when it comes to photos.

Thats exactly what i thought - i have two with the same colored hackle feathers coming in.

I called the guy i bought them from - he said let them go in the park. Who does that?!

It does sadden me know i do not have an all girl flock. Roosters are prohibited in my area. Im looking for two more hens now. Im considering a Brahma and Orpington - are they considered good layers? Ive read they are both awesome breeds that are winter and summer hearty.

I have an ad on CL - title free roosters.
Any other suggestions?

Thats exactly what i thought - i have two with the same colored hackle feathers coming in.

I called the guy i bought them from - he said let them go in the park. Who does that?!

It does sadden me know i do not have an all girl flock. Roosters are prohibited in my area. Im looking for two more hens now. Im considering a Brahma and Orpington - are they considered good layers? Ive read they are both awesome breeds that are winter and summer hearty.

I have an ad on CL - title free roosters.
Any other suggestions?
Brahmas are not the greatest layers, and can be very slow to start laying. Orpingtons are better layers, but they have a tendency to go broody. Both breeds can have a hard time with heat. For a bird that will handle heat, and lay really well check out Australorps. As the name implies, they were developed in Australia, so the can tolerate heat better than other dual purpose birds. They lay very well, and are similar to Orpingtons in temperament.

The all black one- boy or girl, can you tell from this picture?

Last edited:
13 weeks is as good as it gets for grilling. If your so inclined to harvest them don't let them age more than 14 weeks or you'll notice them getting tougher and not appropriate for grilling but can be fried. I split young cockerels in half for the grill, being small that makes for a good portion to cook (wont dry out so much) and serving size for adult.

Back
Top Bottom