Hen or Roo?

lothomson

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 2, 2015
Hi, I am new to BYC!
I have two SLWs, both supposed to be pullets. Willow, my 23-24 week old SLW acts like a rooster. She is much larger than my other SLW and she is the dominant one. She holds her head up high and is definetly the boss.

-When I approach Willow and my other pullet Joy, she fluffs up the feathers on her head and flaps her wings in a stance that pretty much reads: "I am challenging you. I am dominant over you."

-When I try to pick up Willow she tends to cry out and flap her wings on my face in what seems to be frustration and anger. It kind of hurts (hahaha).

-Also sometimes when I approach Willow and the other SLW, I kneel in front of them and Willow will jut out her chest and stand tall until she can promptly stab my head with her beak. Hard.

In general, Willow is very dominant, yet she is very affectionate and after she does this little routine of flapping her wings in my face and stabbing my head, she will perch on my shoulder and preen herself.

Here are some pics of Willow:
-The first pic with both chickens: Willow is on the left.
-The second pic with both chickens: Willow is on the right.

Looks like a pullet to me. Very pretty girl :)
I had one super dominant girl that acted like that until I introduced a rooster to my girls. She tried jumping him at first, he gave her a run for her money.
She's just an alpha female. Treat her the way you would a rooster. When she tries attacking you, walk towards her, or grab her and carry her around for a couple minutes. That should show her that you're the alpha. It sounds like once she's perching on your shoulder, she's claiming you, as if she feels you have submitted to her. When she pecks your head, knock her off of you.

I had one super dominant girl that acted like that until I introduced a rooster to my girls. She tried jumping him at first, he gave her a run for her money.
She's just an alpha female. Treat her the way you would a rooster. When she tries attacking you, walk towards her, or grab her and carry her around for a couple minutes. That should show her that you're the alpha.  It sounds like once she's perching on your shoulder, she's claiming you, as if she feels you have submitted to her. When she pecks your head, knock her off of you.

X2

I had one super dominant girl that acted like that until I introduced a rooster to my girls. She tried jumping him at first, he gave her a run for her money.
She's just an alpha female. Treat her the way you would a rooster. When she tries attacking you, walk towards her, or grab her and carry her around for a couple minutes. That should show her that you're the alpha.  It sounds like once she's perching on your shoulder, she's claiming you, as if she feels you have submitted to her. When she pecks your head, knock her off of you.

Thank you! This is very helpful. :)

Also, both of my pullets have a light pink-red rash on their legs. (on both outsides of the leg and in between the toes, not on shanks)
Are you familiar with this?

Thank you! This is very helpful.
smile.png

Also, both of my pullets have a light pink-red rash on their legs. (on both outsides of the leg and in between the toes, not on shanks)
Are you familiar with this?

Do you have any pictures up-close of their legs? Is it bumpy, flaky, dry, etc.? How long have they been affected?
It could just be the tint of their legs, but there are several skin conditions that affect chickens. You may want to post pictures in the "emergencies, diseases, and injuries" forum. It's been a lifesaver for me!

Do you have any pictures up-close of their legs? Is it bumpy, flaky, dry, etc.? How long have they been affected?
It could just be the tint of their legs, but there are several skin conditions that affect chickens. You may want to post pictures in the "emergencies, diseases, and injuries" forum. It's been a lifesaver for me!
Hi, sorry for the late response:
I do have some close-ups but in those photos it is very hard to tell. The rash consists of only the pink-red pigment in the skin; there is no "rash" part I guess you could say...it is just color. They both have had this for about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. In general they both are in good health (free-range, eating, drinking, active).

I have read some articles about SLW roos getting this same "rash", it explains that it is some sort of result of high testostorone levels and a bunch of hormonal activity. It was helpful.. except for the fact that I have pullets.. not roos.

Back
Top Bottom